Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Dykinga: another one bites the d

Re: Jack Dykinga: another one bites the d

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    These days nodal points and stuff like that are history. You can make an arc from left to right...a foot or more away from where you started and get perfect stitches. I gave up on using the rear standard on my monorail a long time ago....no need for it since CS3 and photomerge. These days I'll shoot two 617 images, stitch them (after scanning with with Nikon 9000), and I'm done.
    Hi, could you elaborate a bit on what your current process is? I'm having a little trouble understanding what you are describing. How do you make your two 617 shots?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

It's a toy article for the Popular Photo crowd.

I still think stitching is cop-out, a minor tool for making photos with no sense of time or movement. It's like light painting, something to have in your skillset because someday you might be forced into doing it... stitch away and spend a few tedious hours assembling a forced, static scene into submission, usually a generic souless landscape for an insurance company or craft show booth.

I rather see a little wind, a wave, some dust in a landscape.

Real photographers grow a pair, get out the 8x10 and get it in one shot, no quibbling and futzing in post.

That Dykinga and a lot of his ilk just do rote postcards, or at best they rip off what Elliot Porter mastered 50 years ago.

I hate to sound like I'm on APUG but I don't consider those stitchers to be as good as film shooters. At least the guys taking a $25K Leaf (or a Better Light scan back) back out into the sand have some guts, but popping off a bunch of 5D shots and letting the software assemble the scene is pretty lame.

Frank, in broad terms this is about montage, which can be used to good or inconsequential effect. I don't think that the statements in your post are easily applied to people like Jeff Wall and Chris Jordan, nor for that matter to some of the photographers on this site, such as Christopher Broadbent and Kirk Gittings, who say that some of their work involves montage/stitching.

Good point....

But trolling wouldn't be half as much fun if I had to be consistent or consider "facts" ;-)

Hey, I loved it. Some great lines; and I didn't say that I disagreed with what you had to say as it relates to a lot of contemporary landscape photography, did I .

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    It seems like a lot of effort to take 9 photographs and stitch them together when you can just take the one!

And I know you just did this for experimentations sake.. but if photographers are having to shoot two, three or more photographs on digital when they can take one on large format, I know what I'd rather do.
    Do you have any conception of how much faster and easier it is to make 9 digital photographs than it is to make one LF photograph? Clearly you don't or you wouldn't have posted this message.

Degree of effort isn't very important to me, I wouldn't have used an 8x10 camera for years if it was. And I certainly didn't become serious about digital capture and processing because I thought it was easier (what a huge mistake that would have been) or faster. But FWIW (very little for me) it's a whole lot easier (not to mention faster) to make 9 digital photographs than it is to make one LF photograph. If you wanted to have an "ease of capture" contest I could probably make 100 or more digital photographs before you got your LF camera set up.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

So instead of "going under the dark cloth" now we can "spray and pray". We don't have to "compose on the ground glass" -- we can "Chimp!"

~How romantic~

I wonder how the stitchers would do with attempting many of the shots in the "Just Clouds" thread?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...841#post557841

So, umm, (in most cases) movement, skies, people, animals, time, and spontaneity are eliminated from the stitcher's vocabulary.... leaving buildings. Rocks. And trees in calm weather. Yep, it's the future of photography! Just like 1834!

(Boy I feel like scratching my APUG.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    If you wanted to have an "ease of capture" contest I could probably make 100 or more digital photographs before you got your LF camera set up.
    Sure you could, but would any of those 100 shots be keepers?

A little experiment

Ok well today I decided to do a little experiment.I set up my 15mp aps-c dslr with a 105mm lens and pointed it at the corner of my kitchen.Since I'm defraction limited at about f/8 with this camera I decided I would focus blend in Helicon Focus and then stitch in Autopano Giga.So this shot ended up being 12 frames x 10 each for focus, so a total of 120 shots for the image.It took about 12-15 min. to take all the images, and by the time I got to the far right of the subject the sun came out from behind a cloud blowing out the upper right.Now on to my Q9550 quad core with 8gb ram, I proceeded to focus blend all the images in Helicon.When that was done it was time to stitch in 16bit.Total time was about an hour and fifteen minutes for the one image.The other alternative was to grab the 8x10, throw the 240 on, apply a little tilt, stop down to f/45 and let er rip.Of course with the $13,000.00 setup Dykinga has it would have cut the time down quite a bit with those 24mp vs. my 15mp, but it was still a pain.My 8x10 ain't done yet

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Sure you could, but would any of those 100 shots be keepers?
    Honestly and no offense meant, I'd be willing to put my digital camera against whatever it is you are using - the corresponding market value, that is - on the worst of Brian's 100 shots against the best you can pull off at the same time.