Thread: Looking for comments on Hunter Museum in Chattanooga, TN

funkadelic

Looking for comments on Hunter Museum in Chattanooga, TN

Have any of you been there?
    http://www.huntermuseum.org/

There are a few exhibitions currently displayed that I would like to see, but I don't have time for leisure on this trip. I would like to make time in the next month to visit, but am curious about the thoughts of previous visitors.
    Thanks in advance.
    Chris

Re: Looking for comments on Hunter Museum in Chattanooga, TN

I'm not sure what you want to know. Its a nice space with good light, professional in most any way I can thing of.
    Rbt

funkadelic

Lighting, parking, general experience on the inside. You seem to have had a positive experience with it. That's a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Lighting, parking, general experience on the inside. You seem to have had a positive experience with it. That's a good sign.
    It's an excellent small museum. If there is an exhibit you really want to see it's work your time driving down from Nashville.

In past years they have shown excellent photography exhibits such as A.Adams an Weston senior.

The truth is that there are several regional museums around the S.E. that host very good photography exhibits. Subscribe to their newsletters to track notifications.

If you're in Chattanooga its worth the time, its a nice space. There were/are a couple of good restaurants nearby or there's certainly something in a very short drive or walk. Here's the website: http://www.huntermuseum.org/

Like others have said it's a nice museum. I drive down from Knoxville whoever there's a good show. You also have a really great museum in Nashville, the Frist Center. They've hade some great exhibitions and my wife and I drive over every time they have one. Oh yes, don't forget the High in Atlanta. This is one of the best museums for photography I've ever visited. Julian Cox is the photography curator and pulls together excellent shows. There's a large space dedicated to photography. It's well worth driving down.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Julian Cox is the photography curator and pulls together excellent shows.
    Julian Cox is no longer the photography curator and hasn't been for about a year. The new photography curator is Brett Abbot (hopefully I've spelt his name correctly).

I think Brett came from the Getty and Julian is at SF MOMA now.

Don Bryant

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Like others have said it's a nice museum. I drive down from Knoxville whoever there's a good show. You also have a really great museum in Nashville, the Frist Center. They've hade some great exhibitions and my wife and I drive over every time they have one. Oh yes, don't forget the High in Atlanta. This is one of the best museums for photography I've ever visited. Julian Cox is the photography curator and pulls together excellent shows. There's a large space dedicated to photography. It's well worth driving down.
    We are members of the Frist. It is a nice layout, and they have several exhibits each year that interest me. I just don't get around to the other ones. I'm in Knoxville right now, but have yet to find time for leisure when work is on a tight schedule. I'll have to save that for another day.

I didn't know Julian was gone. I met him a couple of years ago when he was curating a show in Atlanta and selected 5 of my documentary images for it. Great guy and did some excellent shows at the Hugh. If I remember correctly Julian came from the Getty. Let's hope the new fellow puts together the same quality of shows.

CD my wife and I belong to the frist also. My son lives in Nashville so we use that as an excuse to visit and drop by the Frist. If you're in Knox and have time to get together I would love to meet you. Buy you a glass of wine or brew. Drop a pm and I'll give you my phone number.