Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Dykinga: another one bites the d

Jack Dykinga: another one bites the d

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/h...ge-format.html

Summary: flat stitching with T/S lenses, although 4x5 occasionally used for "fine art".

Large format nature photographers who have moved to digital: William Neill, Charles Crammer, Joe Holmes, David and Marc Muench, Carr Clifton... who else ?

Re: Jack Dykinga: another one bites the d

British landscape photographer Joe Cornish!

Never thought I would see the day this one time large format film purist moved to digital but in his latest book 'Scotlands Mountains' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotlands-Mo...5843169&sr=8-1 he talks about his experimentation with medium format digital backs.

To be honest I can understand why these guys shooting hundreds or thousands of sheets per year for their living would move, as the digital quality rivals film, it is more cost effective to shoot digital.

For me, on the other hand, shooting 10x8 as an escape from my IT day job, with the quantities of film I shoot, I would never dream of shooting digital, I love the escape from the technology.

Julian

Last month I went to the Museum of Natural History in London to see the results of this year's Museum/BBC wildlife and landscape photography competition. Dykinga was one of the judges. Every single award-winning photograph was made with a digital camera.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Drew Wiley

Where did you get the idea that Joe Holmes was going digital? He preaches it a lot,
    but last time I talked to him he hadn't invested a dime in it yet. By the time you add
    up all the necessary components for the Arca needed to realistically shoot for stitches
    in the field, not only have you spent a fortune, but the weight is already up there with
    the Technika he conventionally carries. Plus you have the fragility issue. We had about a two hour discussion about it in my office not long ago. I believe he still scans from 4x5. Couldn't care less what stock photographers like Muench do.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/h...ge-format.html

Summary: flat stitching with T/S lenses, although 4x5 occasionally used for "fine art".

Large format nature photographers who have moved to digital: William Neill, Charles Crammer, Joe Holmes, David and Marc Muench, Carr Clifton... who else ?
    I haven't, still living in los angeles. I don't know where digital is but I don't want to go there

Were closing in on the end folks, and it sucks. And everyone wonders why sheet film is disappearing. Enthusiasts likely make up the majority of users now. I've got enough color film for decades, as long as they sell E6 kits I'll be okay. People just don't know quality when they see it anymore. Kinda like sitting in the theater when the movie comes up and it's out of focus, no one gets up (but me) to alert the staff!

Drew, if you don't know what someone you've talked to is up to, just go to their website. One can shoot MFD and at the same time scan his 4x5 archives.

Vinny, film is still widely used by artists (as opposed to "stock photographers" who have influenced a generation, been exhibited in museums, and have dozens of monographs).

Drew Wiley

QT - I know Joe tested a bunch of stuff, but as I stated, I don't know if he actually
    invested in any of it. Last time I talked to him, he was hypothesizing about a Mamiya
    back and Arca system of his own. For his typical needs, I believe it would be unrealistic, because as we backpackers all age, the weight of any system becomes progressively important. He delves into all kinds of things to get a degree of expertise
    in them, just like I do, so we talk shop from time to time - but taking the dive is another matter. Maybe he's done it, but I'll no doubt bump into him and find out directly. He certainly hasn't converted me, in any event. Just too much can go wrong
    with MF digital in the backcountry, and it would be damn expensive to repair.

http://www.josephholmes.com/news.html says "Lessons learned while moving from 4x5 film to medium format digital capture" not "while pondering the move".

Couldn't care less what stock photographers like Muench do.
    Drew

Dismissing David Muench as just a "stock photographer" seriously underestimates his career. If I remember a converstaion a few years back, he studied with Callahan at RIT. The last time I looked he had like 20 monographs still in print. I would put his career up against many so called "successful artists".

Muench’s work has been exhibited in numerous museums and galleries, including the Santa Barbara Museum of Art, and Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop, California. A shared exhibit with Ansel Adams and Jack Dykinga was mounted at the Phoenix Art Museum, The Center for Creative Photography, and the Museum of Northern Arizona. He was commissioned by the National Park Service to provide 33 photographic murals presenting the landscapes of the Lewis and Clark expedition. These are on permanent display at the Jefferson Expansion Memorial under the Arch in St. Louis. Monumental in concept, the 15 foot tall panels extend more than 350 feet along their wall. His work also hangs in numerous private collections. He has published over 50 exhibit format books.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would still shoot color 4x5 with the 20+ megapixel cameras and great TS lens that are out now. If I was shooting color I would be all digital without hesitation.

If you are printing digitally. What are the advantages to shooting 4x5 transparency/negatives and scanning? Is the resolution gap still a factor?

What am I missing?
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com