Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Jack Dykinga: another one bites the d

Re: Jack Dykinga: another one bites the d

Yeah I am aware of digital backs.

I stand corrected on the shift issue. Appreciate the explanation and example...

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Greg,

Great ideas are ten a penny, vision a little rarer, but impressing these to delivered prints that move us, now that's rare and hard work! Kudos to you for magnificent execution.

Much of your work on your website inspires me. I assume it's all large format film, but I didn't find the processes described.

#'s 1, 9 and 11 of your Hudson River and #2 from the Main projects, are my favorites. Your trees and art nudes are also especially impressive. There's a delicate femininity in what must be considered emotional portraits of trees. The nudes in the rocky landscapes and against wooden textures show your ability to fit together the soft life against the still dispassionate documentary nature of the backgrounds.

Asher
    Asher - it was gratifying to see that you mentioned Maine #2. I happened upon that scene at the end of a long day of shooting in a steady rain, and my lenses were now all fogged up. The location was a long way from my lodging, but the next afternoon had similar light to when was there the day before, so I made the long drive and hike back to get the image (about 6 hours total round trip). The whole time I was praying that the scene was as promising at was in my memory (many times I do that and when I return I have to wonder what the heck I was thinking). So it is nice to know that someone else appreciates the image besides me.

not really a coincident to come across this post. here's the story...

I started to use 4x5 in 2006 mainly for landscape. But apart from landscape & street photography I also do underwater photography. So in 2008 I acquired a full frame DSLR mainly for underwater use, but I've tried shooting landscape with it side by side with my Ebony 45S.
    Gradually I was so occupied by underwater photography that little time was left for landscape and I haven't touched my Ebony since about 2 years ago.
    Somehow recently I have a feeling of getting back to LF landscape. While surfing the web for some LF information, I found to my amazement that Jack Dykinga has "switched to digital" and apparently he said that full frame DSLR can "match LF quality". Then I came across this thread which is most most interesting.

To side track a little bit, I finally picked up my Ebony 45S last week (after 2 years!) for a shoot out in a rocky shore in Hong Kong. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and the resulting picture. So much so that I shot another round the next day on urban landscape using extreme tilt shift and swing movements.

Personally I am comfortable with shooting both DSLR and LF under different circumstances and for different purposes.
    I now even use a small compact DC as a preview tool during my LF shoot out - much better than the old paper frame or whatever viewer. I used a Panasonic DMC-ZR3 which zoom out to ~24mm in 35mm terms which is roughly equivalent to the view of a 75mm in 4x5 terms. I take several preliminary shots to check composition. I even set up the tripod and position my ZR3 on top for more accurate framing "preview". I then set up my Ebony on the tripod head and the rest is just a breeze.

Coming back to QT's question- "Large format nature photographers who have moved to digital: A,B,C,D... who else ?"
    I'd say it depends on how photography relates to that particular person.
    IMHO if one do photography for a living, then there's a strong motivation to go digital. Productivity would be higher and the workflow is faster, the running cost is possibly lower because film (and post-processing) cost is escalating. They also don't have to worry about the initial investment because their clients will pay for it anyway.
    For people who do NOT do photography for a living (like me), we have the choice to ourselves. I choose digital for underwater photography because there's very little choice. But for landscape I still enjoy using LF with all its special capabilities. I also enjoy the almost contemplative PROCESS itself as much as the end product. After all I have no clients to please or any assignment deadline to beat.
    Why can't I enjoy photography in its own right and let the equipment serve me rather than the other way round?
    Sounds philosophical but that's just my personal reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Asher - it was gratifying to see that you mentioned Maine #2. I happened upon that scene at the end of a long day of shooting in a steady rain, and my lenses were now all fogged up. The location was a long way from my lodging, but the next afternoon had similar light to when was there the day before, so I made the long drive and hike back to get the image (about 6 hours total round trip). The whole time I was praying that the scene was as promising at was in my memory (many times I do that and when I return I have to wonder what the heck I was thinking). So it is nice to know that someone else appreciates the image besides me.
    Thanks for sharing this story. Going back to do things a second time is something we don't have the chance to do often in out lives. To me, looking at your work is inspiring and I'm encouraged that chance does favor those who strive as hard as you!

Asher