Page 98 of 118 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: Abstracts

Re: Abstracts

Maris, I really do enjoy your abstracts! Truly inspiring...
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Thanks for the Kudos clieben, marcookie, h2oman. Another mildly abstract scene:

Iron Tank, detail

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.2cm X 21.4cm, from a 4x5 Kodak Tri-X Pan Professional negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a 90mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon lens.
    Thank you for posting these.
    This last one I had even more trouble in finding the subject. Probably I should not even be looking for it!
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Streams of grain by Andrej, on Flickr

This is an older one, but I've never posted it here.. Only last night I dug up the print again and realized that I quite like it...
    4x5 neg (FP4), lith print on Fomabrom IV 123
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Like!

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post

streams of grain by andrej, on flickr

this is an older one, but i've never posted it here.. Only last night i dug up the print again and realized that i quite like it...
    4x5 neg (fp4), lith print on fomabrom iv 123
    Tin Can

Thanks andreios and marcookie. Here's another one with a hint of abstractness:

Water Lillies, Sunlight

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 16.4cm, from a 4x5 Tri-X Pan Professional negative
    exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a 210mm f5.6 Nikkor-W lens.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Marco Fantin

I have recently been researching a little bit about abstraction and its definition. This is partly out of curiosity, and partly because of a debate that often comes up about pictures with or without a recognizable subject; in particular if an image with a recognizable subject can be considered an abstract or not---these last last two post above are a perfect example.

So, the dictionary gives three definitions for "abstract":
    1. The act or process of separating the inherent qualities or properties of something from the actual physical object.
    2. A genre of art whose content depend solely on its form.
    3. Something not easily understood or recognizable.

Thus, the definition it's pretty broad and could potentially include both recognizable and not recognizable subjects.

Some pictures aren't truly abstract, but they aren't straight realism, either. They may fall in a category that Ansel Adams called "extractions", a term that he used in place of abstractions for images of small bits or pieces taken from the whole.

I like to indulge in the categorization, but at the end I don't really care as long as the image makes me feel something. I like this inclusive thread being constantly updated with great images. (Thanks for posting, sometimes this forum is like going to the museum for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    at the end I don't really care as long as the image makes me feel something.
    Abstraction is just one tool toward that goal.
    You're on the right track.

Many skilled photographers have sought to mix abstraction and realism.. Check out Paul Caponigro's Apple. He was a student of Minor White who also did mixes of abstraction and realism. I'm also a big fan of Aaron Siskind who I think went a little further into abstraction.

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    A title this "A moon shaped pool", which does not really mean anything, like for any respectable abstract shot .
    Cropped 4x5 Ilford FP4+ and a red filter. f/45 but still the bottom is not tack sharp.
    Fantastic!

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Abstraction is just one tool toward that goal.
    You're on the right track.

Many skilled photographers have sought to mix abstraction and realism.. Check out Paul Caponigro's Apple. He was a student of Minor White who also did mixes of abstraction and realism. I'm also a big fan of Aaron Siskind who I think went a little further into abstraction.
    I really appreciated your answer. And thank you for mentioning Aaron Siskind, I had totally forgotten about him (so bad!).

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    Fantastic!
    Thanks!

Marco Fantin

My second attempt at an abstract dune shot... I titled it "Sand Notes" because the shape of the main feature reminded me of a musical note.
    A good exercise in figuring out how light and shadows play on the sand. The shapes change so fast close to sunset.

Ilford FP4+ (cropped 4x5) - 135 Nikkor W @f32

This was taken on the sand dunes in Cape Cod, MA.
    Some details about this shot are recorded in this video, where I also talk about travel in landscape photography, and setting an intent when reaching a certain location. Having an intent definitely helped in taking this particular image. During my first visit to Cape Cod, I was shocked that in m any placed it looked like a desert on the East Coast --- and this is what I wanted to show. More videos coming!