Thread: Spectacular China

Spectacular China

Recently I browsed through the photo book section at Borders. And because one b ook stuck so far out from the shelf, I couldn't help but notice it. Now, I'm ve ry happy I near bumped my head on it!

The book is one of the finest collection of photographs I've ever seen. I was s tunned by both the quality of the photos (nearly all LF) and their reproduction, not to mention some of the most extraordinary landscapes in the world. There a re places that give nothing away to some of our beautiful, if over-photographed, national parks.

I've been a lot of places and done a lot of photography, but these images floore d me. I can honestly say seeing this book had me checking prices and contemplati ng a trip to China.

One other thing that did actually bother me about it--there are no credits. App arently, the photograpy was all done by the publisher's staff and individual pho tographers are not even mentioned. This is a real shame since these guys are wo rld class talents.

Spectacular China

Ted,

May I draw your attention to: 'China - The Photographs Of Lois Conner' published by Callaway - ISBN: 0-935112-57-X

This book is all Black & White and Conner shot on 7"x17" banquet camera. Although mostly horizontal there are some interesting vertical compositions which take on the appearance of Oriental roll pictures.

Walter Glover

Spectacular China

You're a bad influence, Walter. I'm trying to withdraw from impulsive book purchases, but after reading the reviews of Lois Conner's book, I might have to add yet another tome. Thanks!

Spectacular China

Ted,

What is the name of this book? Thank You!

Spectacular China

Spectacular China Hardcover - 132 pages (November 1997) Hugh Lauter Levin Associates; ISBN: 0883631571 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.81 x 16.24 x 12.05

Spectacular China

Note that the Lois Conner "China" book mentioned above (originally $100.00 US) has recently been remaindered. Photoeye.com has it for $29.95, and EdwardRHamilton.com has it for $19.95.

I was less impressed with this book than I had hoped. While there are several compelling images, too many of the included photos appear to be casual "snapshots" with the additional overlay of the depth-of-field limitations of her ultra-large format. I also found the images made up of multiple panoramic "strips" placed side-by-side (not end-to-end) to be poorly executed. She'd have been much better off using her 8x10 for those non-panoramic images. YMMV.