Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mounting / Framing / Exhibition & Presentation

Exclamation Mounting / Framing / Exhibition & Presentation

Hi folks,

Does anybody have any advice about preparing images for display.

I am looking at C-Type printing and is going to cost me around £50 for the print as I can not do so myself.

Now I have the print/prints mounting and framing is my problem. Mounting and framing I am looking at £150 per image. If I have 10 images in an exhibition this is going to cost me £2000. I simply can no afford that.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Re: Mounting / Framing / Exhibition & Presentation

Let us know how big the prints and mounts are to be. You can probably save a lot by ordering the mats cut and assembling them yourself. The framing should be pretty easy to do yourself even if you have them matted professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by keith english View Post
    Let us know how big the prints and mounts are to be.
    Keith is correct without specs it's hard to tell if your pricing is on or not. I do my own mattes and framing and it's not that expensive. To give you an idea, I mount 8x10s on a 4-ply archival matte board with a 4-ply window matte covering. 11x14 precut mattes and backs runs me about $7 each shipped (when I order 10 of them). Decent 1" wood frames with black laquer and UV protective plexi go for about $25 each at the framer; add a buck or two more in for picture mounting tapes and hanging hardware, and there you have it. I often get a 50% off coupon in the mail so I pay about $12-$13 each for them. So I'm looking at about $20 each for nice matting and framing. Costs may be slightly higher if you go with glass. $75-$225 each seems a little excessive. I think you can do 10 frames yourself for about $200 (£300). Sound better?

Brian

Well I am looking at about 40"x32" I think 50"x40" might be a stretch on the quality.

I think I shall have a look for an independent framer and see if I can buy the materials from them. Hopefully that will be cheaper.

Thanks.

If you have a quote from a framer to do 40"x32" prints under glass for £150 each, the only serious question is whether they are going to deliver quality work. That is extremely cheap.

To do it for less, you are going to have to buy the materials yourself, pre-cut, and do your own assembly. As I have recently discovered, it isn't hard, but the reality is that even if you do your own, framing ten 40"x32" prints, if you intend to use archival matte and quality glass, is going to cost more than you seem to be prepared for.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Glenn Mellen

Suggest taking a look at Nielson frames (metal frames oft used for large prints and gallery works), which can be bought by the inch and assembled (bolted corners) by the user. Also... instead of glass consider acrylic... much lighter and cheaper... weight becomes a factor for large frames.

Unsure of your location or the laws that apply, but in the States the best way to save on mounting and framing: get a tax number for sales (assuming photography is intended to be a business) and open an account through a wholesale framing supplier. Cuts cost of framing materials substantially (40-60% for some materials... plus here for resale items you are exempt from state taxes when the product is intended for selling).

If you purchase through an independent framer, unless they're a real good friend, I doubt if you'll realize much if any savings. You'd be best off purchasing through internet sources than through local dealers to obtain the best prices (if you can't buy materials wholesale).

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a related question about how to present large format prints like Jamie is talking about. I want to do about a 30 x 40 size and I would like to avoid having to put glass over everything. It's expensive, heavy, fragile, and distances the viewer from the print.

But...how do I then mount and finish the edges of the print and how do I protect the surface of the print? Mounting on gator foam seems fine but I'm not sure if I should then frame or if there's a way to do it without a frame. I like the idea of just the photo mounted without any frame, just with a finished edge.

And then there's the surface of the print. I don't want to do laminating as it seems cheesy to me. I know there are sprayed sealers, some of which even include UV protection but I have no experience with these.

Any feedback?

Curt

I've just had experience w/ this but the thread may be dead at this point. Let me know. Apparently, this is not an often-discussed topic on this forum.

A 40" x 32" framed print will be fairly heavy. Whatever frame you choose, it needs to be very strong. A standard metal frame, or a wood frame less than 1.5" on the front, will not be strong enough to support the weight. As. r.e. mentioned, £150 for framing a print of this seize is a very good deal (assuming it is properly done). I would jump on that. You won't save much doing it yourself, and if this is the first time you are framing it yourself, you will very likely make expensive mistakes and it will be a frustrating experience (The first time you think you are done and then you find dust visible in the assembled frame you will want to quit). Its much better and cheaper to learn to frame on something closer to 8x10. I do, mostly, all my own framing, but would let a pro do a 40x32 for me.

Drew Wiley

Here we go again. You want a pet elephant but can't afford to feed it. Big prints are like that.