Page 81 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Re: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

I'm still not convinced. The water/chem drop would have to be enormous (about 1 cm wide). Also, when I pour the dev into my Jobo tank, the tank is in the upright position, so the sheets are horizontal. The chem is poured through the central column (pipe?), so I don't think any big splashes inside are possible. I always load the film into the completely dry tank.

Anyway, thanks for your opinions, I will take another look into it.

Check out this article, and the pictures of x-ray damage to film:

http://www.richardphotolab.com/blog/...cts-of-x-rays/

The x-rays apparently damage the film by creating density that looks like sine waves. I've seen posts with the tell-tale sine waves on the photo, it's very apparent as x-ray damage when you see it.

I've never seen that on my own images, but when I develop E-6 in a full 6-sheet batch I occasionally see a strip of higher density on the far side of the image. I think it's the way the developer flows when I do dip and dunk processing with Combiplan holders, so I usually only do 4 up and it doesn't happen. I too am surprised at how wide the band is on yours.

It's a nice image though. If I were you I'd take some time in Photoshop and see if I could clone stamp it out.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The x-rays apparently damage the film by creating density that looks like sine waves.
    Only with roll film of course But if the rolls of film are precisely perpendicular to the xray source, it'll show up as straight lines. What are the odds of rolls of film being exactly perpendicular to the radiation source? And there's why it will usually show up as a sine wave pattern in roll film.
    With sheet film, it's a different matter (unless you roll it up).

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that! I don't really understand the interaction between the x-rays and film for it to only expose a singular line through the image though.

I've bought a lot of second-hand film and never seen such a thing myself, including from overseas.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I haven't had this happen either, but on another forum, we recently had a user with suspected xray damage to a single roll of film that was loaded in a (I think Leica) camera when it went through the carry-on scanner. It seems pretty rare. Although it seems that in general, xray damage manifests itself as a rather even increase in fog that is probably unnoticed in the vast majority of cases.

As noted in the X-ray thread in the darkroom forum, I tried divided pyrocat with Fuji Green film in the Jobo with poor results. I think some of the negatives touched each other during processing and otherwise were subjected to poor distribution of developer etc. Still, there is something about this one I like. When I re-shot it a few days later I missed the focus! This shot may turn out to be my Moby Dick.

So I got that SP-445 developing tank. And a bag. Time to get away from the "sitting on the toilet backwards with trays in the bathroom at night" process.
    Practiced it.....then used it. All went well...4 good negatives.
    Then I had a shoot with 8 negatives.
    The first 4 went fine.
    But the holders weren't totally dry apparently.
    So...my fingers with either dev or fix rubbed the edges of the negatives.
    I'm thinking of trying to get a few extra holders. I don't think paper towels would be a good idea.
    Any thoughts? Microfiber cloth to dry the holders?
    Speed Graphic with Aero Ektar.
    Rollei RPX25 in Rodinal 11 mins
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img119.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	165733

I like both of the images above! Defects and all. They're still nice.

Ootsk, what about a hair dryer? I use one to dry my reels if I need to move to the next batch fast. Takes a couple of minutes and dust is not much of an issue. I always wipe off most of the moisture with a bathroom towel.

Major light leak at top of image (cropped out) left image way over-exposed. If the x-ray film is cut too small it slips out of the septa in the grafmatic and hangs up, making it difficult to close. "Pulled" three stops in scanner, another four in ACR then used Topaz detail to decrease the grain appearance.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

This is a late afternoon view near the end of the Estero Trail in Pt. Reyes National Seashore:

It was taken back in the day when I was shooting transparency exclusively and often used a polarizer to saturate the color which in this case was a bad idea as you can see in the upper right.

This shot was taken from the bluff overlooking the Estero and Pacific Ocean at the trails end:

As you can see it suffers from camera movement that probably resulted from movement of the flap of the ready load (Fuji RVP 100F) in the wind. Also, I didn't have the Gitzo 1348 back then but i suspect the ready load caused the movement.

This is a beautiful destination for a picnic on a fine day and at 8.8 mile RT on a flat trail is ideal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakes_Estero

Thomas