Thread: Workshop for digitizing

Workshop for digitizing

I think currently I am @ a point that I need to improve my digital skill, my capture still is analogue, 57 tmax + Xtol. but I am sure the "hybrid" is and will be my path.
    So, I am thinking about to learn something, digitizing(or scanning), Photoshop(my PS skill sucks, it really is), digital printing,, etc.

Any suggestions? how about Dan Burkholder's workshop? its expensive, but hopefully worth it.

BTW, I am still in my 30's, not too old yet...

Andrew

Re: Workshop for digitizing

Hi Andrew,

If I were you, I'd start with basic digital image processing. Photoshop is (still) the gold standard there and I think you'd get much better return on your investment (both time and money) if you went through a couple of good solid books before attending any workshops.

Real World Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers and Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom, 2nd Edition are good for starters (look on Amazon first, though!).

Once you get through the first one, get a decent scanning book and you should find yourself on your way.

There is also a magazine called Photoshop User with lots of good tips and access to a nice article repository site (with subscription).

Hope this helps,

Marko

The best book IMHO for a Photoshop beginner is Scott Kelby's book "Adobe Photoshop CS4 For Digital Photographers." Don't worry about the "Digital Photographers" part, 95% of the book is just Photoshop and is as relevant to film photographers as digital. The reason I think it's the best is that when it talks about doing something it takes you through each step involved, one step at a time, in clear and simple terms, usually with illustrations. Unlike some books I've read that purport to be for beginners, it doesn't say things like "first create a masking layer, then make a mask and use color range to select the highlights." The "Real World Adobe Photoshop" book that Marko mentions is also very good but it's huge, like 900 pages, and I don't think you need the kind of depth it provides to get started. There are plenty of other books out there, I'd suggest just going to your local Barnes and Noble or similar book store in Ontario and browse through them to see which one looks best to you.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you are close to Ottawa (I gather that Koyman Gallery has some of your work), I've done three workshops at the School of the Photographic Arts that have been excellent: http://www.spao.ca/

While looking at the site for Toronto Image Works for other reasons, I noticed that they are starting the first of a two part workshop on Photoshop this Monday: torontoimageworks.com
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic