Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak 2D Wet Plate back

Kodak 2D Wet Plate back

Hello,
    I just purchased a 2-D (5x7) and was wondering if there was a wetplate back that was or is made for this camera?

Thank you

Re: Kodak 2D Wet Plate back

All wetplate backs--in this century and the previous one--are custom made. You will have to have one made for the camera. As best I know there are currently three, possibly four people doing that work in the US.

funkadelic

Who are the ones you know? Steve from Black Art recently sent me an email stating he has stopped doing custom backs for customer cameras.
    Chris

Really? He is making one for me right now, although I ordered it many months ago. Perhaps he is sick of making backs and wants only to make cameras. Anyhow, not counting Stephen, I know of Ray Morgenweck, Ty G-somthing at Ty's tinypes. I recently heard about Clovis Davis, who apparently has been making them for some time, although I am not sure if he does adapter backs.

I see you are right, and that Steve's site no longer mentions backs. Neither does Ty or Clovis (although you can always ask!), so Ray may be the only game in town. At least until someone else shows up.

I've just finished successfully testing a prototype of a holder I plan to put into production soon if all goes well. It is a custom build that fits any 8x10 camera with no modification and will allow a full 8x10 plate. Can't help you yet on the 5x7... but the design should work for that size as well. Full plate is next on the table.

There is always modification of a current holder if you have one you can cut into. There are many examples of this type out there and will get you up and running quickly. Just cut a 4x5 rectangle out of the septum and glue some acrylic corners in there to support your plate. Good luck!

See, someone already showed up!

I would love to see what you have made Bill, as I need a new 8x10 holder.

loujon

We shout wet plate at brothers Eddies w/ a 5x7 spring back . There is certain type of holder that makes this possible. Eddie may be able to shed some light on it.

I may have a holder that is about the same as the one we all used at Eddies . I will snap a shout or two of it so you can start the hunt.
    Peace
    Louis

I've been using modified dryplate holders for years. Not the film type, the glass plate ones. You just make an insert out of plexiglass. So an 5x7 can do halfplate size, or quarterplate. You can make an insert for several sizes.

Garrett
    flickr gallery

I'll get to some shots in a few days Jason. I'm extremely happy with it and have been running it through the paces for the last few days. I was a little unsure of the darkslide baffle, but thanks to a little guidance from Sandy King, all is well. I have a few small modifications for the final build and should be ready to roll. A few friends will be testing them out and we'll see where to take it from there.