Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 or 4x5: Can't decide on a camera for both formats

8x10 or 4x5: Can't decide on a camera for both formats

hey all,

I'm currently torn between shooting 8x10 and 4x5. Currently, I own a 4x5 Sinar F2, and a no-name 8x10, but having something more portable that could handle BOTH formats would be nice, so I don't have to load two cases into the car when I go out for a day or so of photographing. I'm 21, and still at home with my folks while at school, so I can't keep both due to space issues.

been looking at the Toyo 810mI/II series, any thoughts?
    also Deardorff, and **rarely** the R.H. Phillips cameras(not really considering though)

the widest for 4x5 I use is a 90mm, so need something that could handle that with "some" movements. I've used a 300mm on 4x5 before, so ideally eventually I'd like to get a 600mm or so(way's down the road though). So, lets say a 80mm-700mm or so range of bellows extension.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I've searched and searched, but I just don't know what would be the best route for me to take.

just got a good deal on an anvil case that could store *almost* everything(got 52 4x5 holders, and 4 8x10 holders so far). I don't carry ALL the 4x5 holders at a time of course, but I got them all for like $2-3 each, all FE's or Lisco II's. so can't beat a deal like that I guess .

the other route would just to stick with 4x5, say with an Arca swiss(for weight savings), or a folding camera, like a Linhof Master Technika.

I don't currently have the ability to enlarge( no space for a darkroom, even one that's in a bathroom). I don't print any larger than 8x10(even from 4x5). Paper is just too expensive for my budget.

After seeing, and recently talking with, Michael A. Smith, contact printing might be the road for me and my work. But I'm not tying myself to one type of work just yet. I'm still in the "experimental stage". Currently working out a bottle of HC-110 with the Efke 25(can't get enough of this film, just love it!), but this is for another thread...

blessings,

Dan
    probably 1 of 4 or so LF people under 25 in the SoCal area...happy to be part of it though

Re: 8x10 or 4x5: Can't decide on a camera for both formats

Paper is just too expensive for my budget
    And you want to shoot in LF? Hmm, maybe a nice little digital point & shoot is more appropriate?

But I can relate. I built an 8"x10" box view camera, specifically to get decent sized contact prints. If you're somewhat handy with a saw and box cutter, you can build one for less than $100 (not including lens, which can be something as simple as a magnifying lens, or even a pinhole). I'm using that green-sensitive x-ray film from CXS, and starting to get the hang of processing it without scratching the negative too badly. For prints, I'm alternating between standard silver-based photo papers and cyanotypes, with the intent of working into gum bichromate once I figure out how to get a decent exposure with it.

Richard M. Coda

Why not Arca for both? You can buy the 4x5 and then just get an 8x10 conversion kit. Two cameras in one.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Or, a less expensive 8x10 with a 4 x 5 back at a later date....or, if you decide to go full bore with the contact printing route you may find yourself using the 8x10 most frequently...

What about a shen hao or chamonix camera 8x10? the shen hao is nice and 'reasonable'...

I also enjoy contact printing. best of luck in your search.

it really sucks that certain lightweight 8x10 cameras have been discontinued, e.g. phillips compact ii and toho fc-810. they were really cool. =(

the new kid on the block is the ritter 8x10, but it doesn't light my fire. it's worth considering, though.

someone is selling a phillips explorer in the classifieds, but it doesn't have a reversible back and the bellows only goes a little more than 500mm.

have you thought about the kodak master view? it's a metal field camera like the toyo 810m, but costs less. i've thought about getting one that's really beat up just so i can repaint it grey hammertone and black.

there's also the canham jmc810. long bellows, 9lbs, not that expensive, especially when it's used. alec soth's backup only went for $1645 on ebay!

Hard to beat an Arca, but at your age you could pay for your retirement with the cost of an Arca 4x5 plus 8x10. You might check out a Wehman 8x10 with a 4x5 reduction back. Certainly wins on portability and is lightweight, reasonably priced and great on the long end. It can work pretty comfortably down to 120mm with the 4x5 but does not have a bag bellows to allow wide angle with 4x5. But it is a great field camera.

I would suggest spending more on consumables and shooting and less on camera gear. It's a little hypocritical of me though, because I've been studying and lusting over other cameras all evening and morning. (Can't be shooting at night or at while working is my excuse)

thanks all for the replies,

I think that the arca might suit my needs the best. Still a rail camera, but with the telescoping rail system, it can become a VERY small kit in no time flat.

but yes, there are rumblings about TXP availability, so I need to stock up on what I can afford.

I have some road trips possibly planned for this summer, but a standing offer from someone might nix that idea. who knows, I need a lighter, more portable option than the F2 right now.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post

but yes, there are rumblings about TXP availability, so I need to stock up on what I can afford.

-Dan
    What?

EDIT: It appears they are only getting rid of medium format TXP 320. They still list three LF sheet films as available:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...=13319/2300263

If a lightwieght monorail suits you, take a look at the Gowland.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White