Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diptychs, Triptychs and Other Multiples

Re: Diptychs, Triptychs and Other Multiples

Great work, Sly!

But I have to admit that it works better for me (as seen on a screen) as a triptych, leaving off the right image...as that image is a little too open-ended for its position (my eye wants to travel from left to right, but not return to the rest of the piece.) A disiplined viewer with interest in the work would return to the left image and "read" the piece several times, like a line of poetry -- but most viewers would read left to right, then just move on.

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn. I see now that the right image is weaker. I wouldn't have thought of a viewer moving on rather than re-reading, but I do want to enter these in an upcoming competition, so that's an important point.

Watching people looking at work on a wall can be very educational. Some poeple never break stride -- it is eyes to the piece, perhaps eyes to the title card, then on to the next piece. Sort of a walking bobble-head!LOL!

But what I look for is where they do a double-take or slow down -- or even better -- stop, perhaps take a step back for an over-all look and then a step forward for another closer look.

After they move on take note of the piece that caught their attention. It just might be personal connection (they been to the same place before, have an interest in the subject matter, etc), but there might be some quality of composition or tonality that reached out to them. If a lot of people stop at a particular piece, you know there must be something going on with it that is holding them there.

I don't mentally compose in the field to any formula, rule of thirds or golden whatevers, I intuitively create compositions (I do not crop nor burn/dodge) that somehow trap the viewers' eyes with in the image -- keep the viewer's eyes active within the image. I want the viewer to have to make the decision to move on to the next piece -- not make it automatic.

So it was with this bias that I critiqued your piece above.

Vaughn

Another multiple I've been working on. I've edited 7 original shots down to 5. Unfortunately the site won't allow 5 uploaded images, and when I tried up loading 2 diptychs and a single, they didn't all line up as the same size (though I had made them all the same # of pixels high.)

I will have to work with this a bit more as the toning for the last image doesn't match the others, but I like the lines and shapes that follow through the images. Feed back and critiques welcome, if you can see enough of the image to comment on it.

Works very well!

Brand New Multiple (shot last year) - 2 separate prints (GSP) intended to be shown together (5X7 Arista Pro 125 in PMK Pyro, cropped 2:1):

Reflection & Flow #1, #2

A true triptych - 3 GSP mounted together with triple cut mat windows:

Wildcat Falls Triptych

Triptych framed and hung:

I entered this triptych in a juried show last summer. It didn't place, but caught the eye of a local doctor. It now graces her office along with 2 more of my LF shots, chosen when she came to pick up the triptych.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I entered this triptych in a juried show last summer. It didn't place, but caught the eye of a local doctor. It now graces her office along with 2 more of my LF shots, chosen when she came to pick up the triptych.
    Sly

I would rather have the money from a sale than the trophy, well done.

David

Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Another multiple I've been working on...
    Dear Sly,

I like that...

Nicely done.

jim k