Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I add a column to my tripod?

Re: Should I add a column to my tripod?

The GItzo columns are pretty stable on the new models, but if you are worried, they also let you pull the column very easily. So you could leave it in most of the time, but if you were using a long lens with some wind, and wanted every bit of stability, you could just pull the column and attach the head right to the tripod top.

Sometimes you really need the column - shooting overhead, I am too old and stiff to hunch down and focus looking up - with the column I can get the camera over my head. Since I only do that indoors, stablility is less of an issue, esp. with carbon fiber tripods.

I agree with Ed - I find the center column extremely handy (if not necessary) for some types of work. Assuming it isn't a huge pain to switch out, why not get the center column (if it's sturdy enough for you) and just keep it handy. That way you have the option of using it or not.

That's what I did and I like it that way - I usually have a pretty good idea when it will come in handy and worse case you could install/uninstall it pretty quick for certain situations.

This is another of those debates where there's a stance for the purest and then one for the pragmatist. I coincidentally had this question on my mind and did the glass-of water test this week with and without the column raised with a studex pro/8x10 combination There was no evidence of movement either way, at any shutter speed. Clearly, though, on my smaller tripods, movement gets introduced with extension of the column. But if a shot calls for hanging that sucker out there, I say give it a try and see what happens.

So, my experience is consistent with Kirk's; which is that there are times in close quarters or near fences, where a column saves the day. Its an option that should be used with knowledge of its limitations, and advantages.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Eric,

If your tripod utilizes the round top plate insert, then I have a 3 series center column you can try. It's new and I've been meaning to sell it. And it's in SB!

In a word no. If you need more extension I would look a taller set of legs or use a taller 3 way head like the Bogen Manfrotto 229. This adds about 16 CM/6.5 inches in height to your existing tripod.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2343
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.