Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphlex lens problems and replacement options

Graphlex lens problems and replacement options

I am just starting out in LF format photography. I purchased a used Graflex (I think it's a Pacemaker Speed Graphic but it's shutter stops at 400) and a Combi-Plan (with HC110) and loaded my first holders last night with Tri-X. I'm very excited to get to using it.

I bought the Graflex on eBay where the owner claimed the shutter was firing at the correct speeds. It is a 135mm Optar f/4.7. Naively taking his word I didn't test it's accuracy. I am now realizing I fear the shutter is much slower than it's supposed to be. I don't have a tester, but at "1" it's almost 2 seconds. At "2" it's about 1.5. I did this using a stop watch so I'm really not accurate.

I'm not finding much information regarding these lenses. And I really don't know how to properly test or fix it. If it's not correct is the lens useless?

What are my options if I have any?

Also, what sort of replacements are available for this camera? Thanks so much for your help.

Re: Graphlex lens problems and replacement options

Underexpose a little, or just use the 'box speed' of your film. Go out and take pictures and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Run the shutter through the speeds, it may speed up some. But if it does not, it is no big deal using B&W.

You can replace the lens with a large number of different lenses. I replaced my old lens with a newer model 135mm symmar which is just small enough to let the camera fold up. You can use longer lenses up to just under 300 mm (it depends on the specific lens design) and shorter lenses - but will have to be a bit careful using anything shorter than 90mm or so. You can also use lenses without shutters because your camera has a focal plane shutter. There are too many possible lenses to list.

If you switch from the lens you have you will need to adjust the rangefinder to match the new lens - if you want to use the rangefinder.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It isn't totally reasonable to expect a shutter that old to run well (no matter what a seller says) unless it has been serviced. Your best bet, if the lens is in good shape, is to put a little more money into it and have the shutter professionally serviced. After that it will run well and you'll be set for the next ten years or so. While other lenses might be better, the Optar is definitely quite servicable.

I'd suggest you send the shutter to Carol for a CLA: www.flutotscamerarepair.com
    She is reasonable and does fine work...the web site will give you instructions for sending in the shutter. The Optar is a good lens and worth having CLA'd; as others mentioned, there are many lenses that can be used on the Graphic, from wide angle (65mm or wider to about 120mm) thru the normal range (say 135mm to around 170mm) and on to long lenses (maybe 180mm thru 300mm+).

Second Brian and Vick's suggestions. The Graphex shutter is a Wollensak Rapax shutter rebranded for Graflex Inc. These are very robust, but old ones often need an overhaul. An overhaul should cost less than a complete 'nother used lens in an equally suspect old shutter.

Vick, the 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic's minimum flange-to-film distance is 66.7 mm. A 65/5.6 Super Angulon's flange-to-film distance is 71.4 mm, a 65/8's is 70.5. I use Super Anglons as examples because there are few w/a lenses for LF with shorter flange-to-film distances. A 75 SA would work on a 4x5 Speed. The 4x5 Crown Graphic's minimum flange-to-film distance is 52.4 mm. One really needs a Speed and a Crown. marshallarts, you have been warned.

The longest standard issue lens for 4x5 Graphics was the 15"/380 mm f/5.6 Tele-Raptar/Optar. Tele-Optar was Graflex Inc's name for the lens, but Wollensak sold it as a Tele-Raptar. The 4x5 Speed's maximum extension is roughly 12".

marshallarts, if your new treasure has a focal plane shutter it is a Speed Graphic, if not it is a Crown Graphic. Visit www.graflex.org, read the FAQ, and then you'll know what you have.

Most (not all) of the Graphex shutters were built by Wollensak and are very similar to the two Rapax shutters I've got. These often respond well to the "Ronsonol soak" method of cleaning out all the old hardened grease without major disassembly. I've gotten one working to within a half a stop of all the indicated speeds, and it is very consistently wrong in the same direction each time. That's mostly what's needed, even with exposure-critical transparency films.

DIY cleaning and timing shutters is a topic about which many threads exist here and elsewhere.

As long as the shutter actually works at all speeds you're in luck -- it's just slow from the oil which has gotten a little stiff from non-use. The cure for this is to use it a lot, to loosen it back up. A couple of times every day for a few weeks cock it and trip it several (10) times at every speed on the dial, should loosen it up. Don't worry about it being a little slow for black and white film, so go ahead and use it while you're speeding it up.
    I don't know where you live but if it doesn't eventually get a lot better, then any camera repairman in any place will be able to clean it for you and shouldn't charge very much, probably about $25.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If you've decide to swap out for a modern lens be advised that the slight differences in focal length, even among lenses badged the same focal lengths, can throw critical focus off. A 135mm Wollensak Raptar corresponds perfectly to the rangefinder cam for a 135mm in my Super Graphic (Originally a Graflex Optar, probably made by Rodenstock by then but to Graflex's specification). However, my later Rodenstock-built Caltar IIN 135mm is not perfectly 135mm, hence does not match the cam.

Earlier models of Speeds and Crowns with the side-mount Kalarts will need adjusted, but at least they can be adjusted to work with most any one lens. The top mount built in RF 's of the later Graflexes instead of adjustments use interchangeable cams for different length lenses. While this is faster if you have the right cam for lens swapping, it may be more problematic if you don't, as these are no longer readily available items.

Which may or may not be important to you but it's a point in favor of a CLA of the one you've got if the RF is working well.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I have some reading up to do -- I feel a little lost here.

Maybe I should enjoy my 135mm for a bit before getting to ahead of myself. I wouldn't mind something a little wider, but heck, I haven't even developed my first shots.

I should have mentioned that my focal plane shutter was removed by a previous owner so I would definitely need a lens with a shutter.

I really appreciate all the advice and will definitely revisit this thread when I'm learned up enough to begin to make a decision on a future lens. For now I'll have fun with what I have.... unless my shots come out bad, then I'll need to send it in. Thanks