Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest Lens

Re: Your Oldest Lens

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petzval.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	76105

Voigtländer Petzval of around 10"/f:4.5 in barrel with S.K. Grimes flange and 6 waterhouse stops, s/n 14220, which puts it at 1862-84 as best I can date it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N,10inPetzvalf56,22Jan2006.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	76106

8x10" Polaroid at f:5.6

Re: Your Oldest Lens - GRUBB B matched pair, ser no 907, 908

Hi Bill,

Nice camera, I followed its sale. Please note that this model was advertised over a long period, so precise dating isnt easy; they were still being sold into the 1870's. Pecks badge and stampings remained on the cameras after his being bought out/merged in 1860 by Scovill.

I am curious why there is so little staining on the camera, and I dont see a drip rail/trough ? Matt Isenburg is likley to be the person that could date your camera far more precisely.

Also, the Peck camera would more likely to have used American made lenses,. In fact, Peck cameras were long associated with CC Harrison lenses (Globe and Portrait lenses for stereo work) and those would be more appropriate than Grubb lenses.

See Larry Pierce's Peck camera model which is almost identical to yours....

http://piercevaubel.com/cam/misc/peckstereofield.htm and its sister camera http://piercevaubel.com/cam/amopt/aophilst.htm

Good luck

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Hi Dan

Thanks for posting. I agree that the lens and lens board are not original - likely indicating to me that the camera was used in the wet plate era and retrofitted when dry plate became popular. I am in the market for a stereo lens board - know of any?!

This Samuel Peck camera is nearly identical to the one you provided the link to (Larry Pierce's). I don't see a drip rail on his either - do I? And this one now on my desk in fact seems to exhibit more staining than Larry Pierce's in that link. Attachment 76114
    Everything seems beautiful about this camera - I now would like to find a c1855-1860 lens board! If you know of any 3-piece lens boards please email me at bollman@mdslaw.com

Thank you!
    Bill

LEREBOURS. Pezval lens with radial focus. I think circa 1842-44

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...in Instagram as ATELIER PETZVAL.

That takes the prize for the nicest lens cap.

Wow, nice Lerebours, I've never seen one like that. And I've seen a lot of Lerebours!

May be one of the earliest Petzval(know in France as Systèm Allemand)lens made by Lerebours. I think is more 1842-43 than 1844....but it's difficult to know.
    ...in Instagram as ATELIER PETZVAL.

Absolutely no idea what it is or how old it might be. Bought it from Garrett and it is my oldest lens by a long shot.
    Very sharp with great swirls, would probably cover 5x7 but not quite 8x10 which is fine, I kinda like the black corners.

Not the best example of what it is capable of but the only example I have scanned, as crappy as the scan may be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    Absolutely no idea what it is or how old it might be. Bought it from Garrett and it is my oldest lens by a long shot.
    Very sharp with great swirls, would probably cover 5x7 but not quite 8x10 which is fine, I kinda like the black corners.

Not the best example of what it is capable of but the only example I have scanned, as crappy as the scan may be.....
    Hey, I'd forgotten about that one, it works as good as I'd expected. Glad you like it. It's from about 1898 I'd say.

I just acquired this lens which is apparently a pillbox design and although it is not marked on the barrel, the edge of the single lens appears to read "Darlot Paris / (s) 48" I don't know how to describe the scribble "(s)" The overall length of the barrel is 4.5 inches +/- and the lens has a 3 inch diameter.
    I think it may be from the 1850's, but I don't know. Any thoughts? Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edge.darlot-Paris.jpg   Darlot-Pillbox-#1.jpg   Edge-forward-slash-...48.Da.jpg