Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest Lens

Re: Your Oldest Lens

Hi PP,

If Chapman made P&L's, he must have made the early Lewis (pre Henry Lewis) lenses, Gardner/Harrison and P&L's.... I can believe that. More evidence would be great. I assume all that would need to be done is compare these items more closely for their similarities.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

I've got a Chapman I can pull out and take a look at. While I agree the early lenses are very similar, and the brass work could have been done by one or two companies, I also have noticed the flange diameters vary a LOT between the different lenses, and even between different ones of the same make. I've always thought that odd, since having one size thread machines for each size lens would be the way I'd manufacture something. I've had many half plate radial drive NY lenses, and none of the flanges ever inter mix. Also, wasn't one of the early makers of radials in Philadelphia?

Town Historian (Daguerreville)

Question Re: Your Oldest Lens Gardner, Harrison & Co. Daguerreville N.Y.

Greetings Gentleman...

I'm interested in learning more about the firm that absorbed Wm. & W.H. Lewis here in New Windsor N.Y. (Daguerreville). I have some limited information and research and in fact this weekend crossed paths with a Smithsonian researcher.

Lewis bought a foundry and mill on the Quassaick Creek here...exactly which foundry is presently unknow but I suspect it was the following. I believe this is the one Harrison & Gardner took over after the sale in April 1852.

"According to the map of the town of New Windsor, prepared by Charles Clinton in 1798, there were 2 mills on Quassey Creek. One, nearest the Hudson River, was called the Schultz Flour Mill, and the other Walsh's mill. At Issac's death, his son Issac inherited the mill and he later traded it to his brother Jacob for property in Newburgh. Jacob eventually sold the mill to Peter Townsend, who in 1816 erected a foundry just immediately west of the site of the Schultz Mill, which consisted of 2 furnaces and 4 boring mills."

Locally not much is known about the daguerreotype production here, the local records are silent. My tax assessment records do not include the place. We are going back to review some of the land holdings and mapping for the Quassaick Estuary Trail which identified ruins or previous occupations along the creek.

I would like to erect a historic marker near that place that inclueds both the Lewis & Garner Harrison Co. contribution to the world of photography. I need some finer details for it.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Glenn Marshall
    Town Historian
    New Windsor N.Y. 12553
    845-562-5782

http://town.new-windsor.ny.us/About/TownHistorian.aspx

historynw@aol.com

You might want to try to find the author of this pamplet:
    http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=JPp6k4UOAUwC

The Men, Their Camera, and The Factory - William Lewis, Wm H. Lewis, Palmer & Longking....
    - (1981) Stuart Wilensky

This part may help:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daguerreville.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	74032

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    You might want to try to find the author of this pamplet:
    http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=JPp6k4UOAUwC

The Men, Their Camera, and The Factory - William Lewis, Wm H. Lewis, Palmer & Longking....
    - (1981) Stuart Wilensky

This part may help:

Name:	daguerreville.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	74032
    Thanks much for the article. Palmer & Longking both owned farms in New Windsor I have them in my 1855 & 56 assessment rolls. The author did a good job in fleshing out the area.

Hi

I have been studying the Lewis family and their businesses myself the last 6 months, but I am not prepared to share my research quite yet..

I assume you have seen these google entries including the 2nd listing which was a lecture just given recently

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...79lllllllllll0

Best,
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    Hi

I have been studying the Lewis family and their businesses myself the last 6 months, but I am not prepared to share my research quite yet..

I assume you have seen these google entries including the 2nd listing which was a lecture just given recently

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...79lllllllllll0

Best,
    Dan
    Yes, I was in attendance. I've spent considerable time on the issue myself over the past 15yrs...The problem thereof is the lack of local records. I've narrowed down the location. I'm more curious from the Lewis prespective why he chose New Windsor. The period here had a great emmigration of workers from Ireland, England & Germany. We had hundreds if not thousands working in the immediate area. I running down some more leads which I hope are promising.

Re: Your Oldest Lens - GRUBB B matched pair, ser no 907, 908

Help please!

I bought a Samuel Peck camera on ebay (eek) last week, which I believe (hope) to be appropriate to my target year of use of 1861. (In other words, that it would have been a camera in use in 1861.) What I'd like to do is build a time-appropriate STEREO lens board for it. I own a matched pair of GRUBB B lenses (photo attached), serial numbers 907 and 908. Would these be time appropriate to 1861? Or does anyone know how to approximate the age of these? Thank you!! Bill bollman@mdslaw.com

Name:	Grubb B Stereo matched pair 907 and 908.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	76088

Well you have guessed very well!
    Are these double aplanatics or single aplanatics (before the pill box design was introduced)?
    Or even the landscape menicus (telescope achromat type) before the patent of 1857?
    Anyway it is middle to late 1850's.

Name:	Emily Cover 02 (shrunk) (SMALL).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	76102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back ps 90b (SMALL).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	76103

Name:	Emily Cover 02 (shrunk) (SMALL).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	76102

The reason I’m trying to put together a camera appropriate to 1861 is because I have a photo album taken by a fellow in Newburyport, Massachusetts, US, in 1861. I also have his personal letters, family photos, his description of photos, etc. The wet plate photographer, Philip Coombs, worked under Mosely at one time, and died in 1864. I wrote a book with his story (yet unpublished) which has incredible facets, including two photographs of what I believe to be EMILY DICKINSON (given that her sister-in-law SUSAN is also in the photos, as is ELIZABETH WHITTIER (John Whittier's beloved sister who I believe arranged the gathering, CELIA THAXTER, HELEN HUNT (JACKSON), and LUCY LARCOM. Lots of original wet plate photographs along with the story that goes with them.

Bill