Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael A. Smith/Paula Chamlee Workshops

Michael A. Smith/Paula Chamlee Workshops

We have announced our workshop schedule for this year. Details are here: http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/calendar.html

We will be conducting a workshop in Iceland in July and weekend Vision and Technique Workshops as follows:

Bucks County, Pennsylvania: May 28–30
    London, UK: June 11–13
    Paris, France: June 18–20
    Gochsheim, Germany: June 25–27
    Florence, Italy: July 2–4

Although Paula and I work with large-format negatives, the workshop is not format specific. Among many other comments we have received about our workshops are these:

"I'll likely never look at a photograph or my ground glass the same way again."

"There are events that occur in one's life that you consider a milestone for growth for who you are or become. I can honestly say that your workshop is one of my milestone events."

"I truly enjoyed your workshop. The experience expanded my perspective and I have not felt this level of excitement since I started in photography. The best workshop of the dozen that I have attended."

"I must say that your seminar was the best investment I have made since I bought my first shares of GE a long time ago. Not a day goes by that I do not put to use some of the vast knowledge base I learned."

Michael A. Smith

Jim Ewins

Re: Michael A. Smith/Paula Chamlee Workshops

Michael & Paula advertised that their workshop was the last one that I'd ever need. Well it was a great workshop in a great location, Sedona, and I agree it is the last workshop I'll ever need. Paula's method of using the tripod was a revelation and I use it today. Thanks.

Gaithersburg, MD. (Washington, DC suburbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ewins View Post
    Paula's method of using the tripod was a revelation and I use it today. Thanks.
    She's not bad with a camera either.

Paula's method of using the tripod was a revelation and I use it today
    Please reveal this to us? Doe she place all three legs on the ground?

Eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post

dude,

that is hysterical.

monty

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    dude,

that is hysterical.

monty
    Have to agree! Not often the LF brethren bring humour to the party (unless pyro/drum/flatbeds/Steve whatsit count), but when they do....

Actually, for those not in on the joke, what Paula does is show you how to scan the scene to discover what else is there, beyond what you already know to look for. I found their workshop very, very useful on in all sorts of ways, from the basic approach to seeing that they teach, through the tons of technical stuff they just hand you in a platter after years of experience, to the incredible education of looking at stacks and stacks of their prints, and on and on. I can honestly say I use something they taught me every single time I do something photographic, be it shooting, printing, finishing, whatever. They pack an incredible amount of knowledge and experience into their workshops, and if you're paying attention, you can learn a whole of a lot. Can't recommend them enough. [end of testimonial, back to your regularly scheduled programming ]

Well, that Gochsheim certainly sounds very tempting. I've been dreaming about these workshops for some time, but was always put off by the idea of having to fly to the US.
    The workshop also comprises darkroom techniques. Do you have access to a well equipped darkroom in every one of those cities, or will the course cover just the theory?
    How about lodging and meals? Will this be arranged for us (payed for separately, of course), or shall we be on our own?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    Well, that Gochsheim certainly sounds very tempting. I've been dreaming about these workshops for some time, but was always put off by the idea of having to fly to the US.
    The workshop also comprises darkroom techniques. Do you have access to a well equipped darkroom in every one of those cities, or will the course cover just the theory?
    How about lodging and meals? Will this be arranged for us (payed for separately, of course), or shall we be on our own?
    Thank you.
    Yes, we have darkroom facilities in each place. The Gochsheim workshop has filled we believe, but there is still space in the other three.

During the workshops we will have all meals together, although everyone will have to pay for their own. Lodging can be arranged in Italy--I believe a hotel has been already selected, where we will be staying, too. In Paris and London, you would be on your own, but there are lots of hotels in all price levels there.

Michael A. Smith