View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calypso Imaging is Closing

Calypso Imaging is Closing

Unfortunately, I just recv'd an email announcing this sad news. They were without a doubt one of the finest processors of LF transparencies...

Dear Friends,

For almost 40 years Barbara and I have immersed our selves in the business of photography. It has been fun, challenging, satisfying, enlightening, rough and tumble and no place for the faint of heart. We believe we have been a force in the world of photography and that our interest in and passion for imagery has helped novices and professionals to evolve and grow. The current business environment is tough in a way I have never seen before. The vast majority of our competitors are long gone from the market place, driven out by technological improvements and the ease of entry into inkjet printing, the rapid demise of film, constant downward pricing, and the general lack of discretionary income.

Calypso has been fortunate to survive for this long thanks to having always had a spectacular staff and brilliant clients. It is time now to raise the white flag and move on. We crave time to pursue a variety of other interests and passions- people to see and things to do. We want to travel, spend time with the kids, read, photograph, think deep thoughts and enjoy the sunshine.

Many thanks, Joe Levine

Re: Calypso is closing

Too bad. I've used a lab exactly two times in my life - once for 4x5 color negative film and once for transparencies - so lab closings have no direct effect on me. But even I have heard of Calypso and it's a shame to see a lab of its stature closing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

While I now do all of my own processing, they were my source for direc-to-print lightjet prints even though they made a mistake of some sort (really!) on nearly every order. The most friendly people I've dealt with. I guess WCI will get my business. A real bummer. The flag is at half mast today.

R.I.P - Not good news. I've used them for a number of years and was one of those that never had any issues with any orders. They have a batch of E6 right now. Hope to get it back shortly.

Best of luck to the owners and staff.

Last day of operation is February 5th.

- Dan.

I too got the email yesterday.

I have used the lab for number of years for development of color transparencies and drum scanning. Very professional service and great work. Too bad they won't be around. I will have to find another lab.

// Atul

Saratoga, CA

Calypso Imaging is Closing

Their last day of production is Feb. 5th. I also heard that Bay Photo is dropping E-6 processing. Who else processes film in the San Francisco bay area?

Mr.Gale

Re: Calypso Imaging is Closing

Preston Birdwell

Re: Calypso Imaging is Closing

Mr. Gale,

If you don't mind the turnaround time for shipping, take a look at A&I.

Here

--Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Atul Mohidekar View Post
    I too got the email yesterday.

I have used the lab for number of years for development of color transparencies and drum scanning. Very professional service and great work. Too bad they won't be around. I will have to find another lab.

// Atul
    This is a shame. I never used them because I have not exposed E-6 films for a while, but the attrition of all the good labs is disheartening.

I am aware that the Slide Printer, http://www.theslideprinter.com/ in Denver is still in operation. They seem to have a good reputation, but I have not used them either. I know that they purchased the dip-n-dunk system for spares when Southern Lights in Durango ceased operation, so they should be able to do up to 8x10 transparencies.
    al