Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Lustig & My Crown Graphic

Fred Lustig & My Crown Graphic

I got CROWN GRAPHIC off EBAY a while back and this is my experience with Fred and repairing it.
    My Crown was made in 1957. I called Fred up told him what i wanted to do and I wanted to shoot with flash bulbs. He went through it and called me to let me know what he needed to do so i could use bulbs.
    I needed the M-M FX setting on the shutted and a good cleaning. He did all this and fixed the rangefinder at a very good price. He also sold me a new flash. A lot cheaper than on EBAY. Fred Lustig is a very professional person. I just wanted to thank him and let other people who could use his service. Bob Murphy

Re: Fred Lustig & My Crown Graphic

Fred is a very nice man. He's about 80 years old now. I applaud his efforts to keep these cameras working.

Re: Fred Lustig & My Graflex Super Graphic

Fred has one of my Super Graphics. He is installing a bellows on it. The camera was stripped down when I found it as a parts camera. Fred it setting it up as a GG view camera only.. .no rangefinder.

I enjoyed the conversation I had with him, and gathered that he could have rebuilt/repaired the rangefinder system. He seems to have all the parts to build Super Graphics, including the rodenstock 1000 shutter/lens it seems.

I may follow up with a Super for handheld after I get this GG view Graphic back.

Even invited me to come visit and talk camera with him. (I live a few hundred miles North of his Reno location).

Andrew Moxom

I'll add to the choir here too.... I have a Graflex Subsea 4x5 to 2x3 lever wind roll film back for sale in the classifieds. When I first go this thing, someone had ham fistedly tried to fix the needle rollers. I found Fred, and sent the back to him. He said he did not have any spares, but would charge me $35 to turn them down from scratch on his lathe and fit them, and CLA the back for that! What great service from a wonderful and knowledgable man. I'd recommend anyone to go to Fred in a heartbeat!

A.

Agree with the others. Fred is a wonderful person to deal with. I wish that all of the people marketing to the LF community were this good.

Fred's still at it and overhauling a trainwreck Speed Graflex I bought on e-bay as we speak.

I'm glad to hear Fred is still fixing Speeders! What a treasure he is---and what a fine gentleman!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I hate to speak ill of a real gentleman, but I believe Fred is beginning to loose it, which is perfectly understandable at age 83. Did some work for me recently. Took 3 months with constant reminders. What work was done was nicely done, but some things overlooked. Some days is confused about what he is working on. I wished I had found him earlier in his career.

Did I hear it correct that Fred Lustig acquired all the remaining NOS Graflex parts from Singer/Graflex when they went belly up some years back?

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    Did I hear it correct that Fred Lustig acquired all the remaining NOS Graflex parts from Singer/Graflex when they went belly up some years back?
    Sort of. He got them from MPEX, who got them when official Graflex support went under.