Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ever worry about getting shot while using your spotmeter?

Re: Ever worry about getting shot while using your spotmeter?

Drew -- the ladies walked right into the scene as I was photographing (I knew it would be a long exposure so I began it before I took the meter reading). Even though they stopped occasionally to munch some grass, none of them actually showed up in the photograph. My image wasn't worth printing.

The bison and the visitors are interesting to watch in Yellowstone -- saw one close call with a bison and a lady pushing a baby stroller (and she was told to walk by the bison by the Ranger, who got a bit red-faced when the bison stood up quickly and did a partial charge at her.)

Most of my photograph is done in abandoned buildings in places like Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Youngstown, Philly... and I've never, thankfully, had a problem with personal safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Perhaps I should get a wooden tripod for shooting on the road. Can you recommend one ? Seriously. Not one of these gigantic heavy things. I know nothing about wooden tripods. I currently have a Bogen 3021 BN Pro, just a plain-vanilla, middle-of-the-road, affordable tripod. Is there such a thing in wood, which lets you set up quickly ?

One reason I keep my 5x7 Kodak 2A, is that wooden cameras, long cable releases, red bellows, brass fittings, etc. invite friendship and draw people from a distance. They make you look harmless.
    I have a full-size Ries, but perhaps one of their smaller ones would suit you -- except for the price. http://riestripod.com/tripod.htm http://riestripod.com/tripod.htm Looks like they have gone up 50% in price since I got mine. The J-Series would work with the 5x7, but perhaps even the H-Series would do for you.

I had the 8x10 up at the beach today -- twice I had people stop by to check it out, and since I was not in a hurry, I let them look at the GG -- I love it when they say "Its upside down!"

Vaughn

I have never used a holster for my Pentax Digital, but have it secured with a lanyard to my vest or around my neck ever since I dropped it.

Being in Public Works I have a Type 3 vest that I us at work, and any time I'm Photographing near traffic (bright yellow, retro reflective, 55MPH+). A white may be a better choice for a hard hat since it would make you look more like an engineer or surveyor, with the tripod and all.

D Vik

Vaughn -

Thanks for the recommendation. They look beautiful. With their head, can you adjust the camera position while under the focusing cloth ? I've never used one of those heads. I don't see any levers, or handles etc. so I don't see how you adjust things.

There are two styles of head -- single and a double tilt. I have the double tilt. Yes, one can adjust all movements while under the cloth. Very stable heads. The one disadvantge they have is that if it has limited tilt in one direction (down), so how one attaches the camera to the head depends on if one wants to tilt the camera back or forwards. The controls are set up that one can tilt the camera up with the controls in their "normal" location. But if you need to tilt the camera down, the camera must be attached to the head 180 degrees -- putting the knobs on the other side of the camera. Clear as mud, I suppose. One gets use to it. Panning is done by loosening the head and rotating it on the pod.

It is nice not having levers, etc sticking out all over the place like the usual 3-pan heads. But the head is unusual enough that it would be good to use one before buying.

Vaughn

My Sekonic Studio Deluxe is always gathering a lot of interest. I think thoses old lightmeters have a very strong magnet inside, and that excites the guys at airport checks. Last time I travelled in the States, I took it off the bag, and pass it alone. The Rollei and all my bag didn't got a look, it passed without question. Still the Sekonic has to be shown...

I mean, when the usual taking picture device nowadays rings, plays video and mp3, speaks like your mom, reminds you your apointments, and take less place and less weight than a cigarette pack, you wonder the simple custom guy is bewildered when you unfold your 4x5...

Drew Wiley

Ken - wooden tripods are indeed nice for quick set-up. I use a Ries J100 for the 4x5
    and Pentax 6x7, but have also tested it with a Canham 5x7. Plenty stable for these,
    but not adequate for 8x10 (where I use the A100). Finally split a leg on my A tripod
    from years of crawling through heavy brush and so forth. Overnight with a little Titebond III glue and as good as new. I attached little bronze cleat to the legs to
    hang my meter and loupe when I am carring the tripod over my shoulder. But that's
    how I accidentally dropped a meter in the creek, so am attaching a clip to it now.

Drew Wiley

Frank - the reason I didn't make a shot of charging pigs is that it wouldn't have been
    original. That was something already done in the third Hannibal Lector movie. The
    few remains of the victim are now thumbtacked to a canvas in the MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    There are two styles of head.....
    No wonder LF photographers are looked upon askance.
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton