Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresnel screens/brighter ground glass?

Fresnel screens/brighter ground glass?

Hi chaps,

It could well be the case that the fairly thin black tshirt I'm using isn't quite dark/opaque enough but have had a few problems viewing the ground glass on my Sinar F2. Actually, it's a fair bet the tshirt isn't opaque enough. I'll get a decent dark cloth on pay day. But as a bid to get an even brighter ground glass, what are the options? I understand a fresnel screen is something worth considering? Is this something that replaces the ground glass or something additional?

Cheers!

Welly

Glenn Mellen

Re: Fresnel screens/brighter ground glass?

As far as the black t-shirt not being opaque enough... the down-and-dirty cheap fix to that is simply double up on the shirts... when I first started I wore 2 T-shirts and they worked quite well.

I used to use a fresnel (used in addition to the ground glass), but replaced it with a Maxwell screen. Fairly expensive route to go, but to me worth the cost as it was by far brighter than the standard screen with fresnel. With this replacement, it's now bright enough on most occasions to be able to see the ground glass without a focus cloth.

Many thanks for your reply. I've got plenty of black tshirts so will try doubling up!

As for the fresnel, I'm looking at one of these on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HORSEMAN-4x5...#ht_4733wt_941

Would this replace the ground glass entirely on my Sinar or is it attached somehow? Any ideas how it attaches?

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    But as a bid to get an even brighter ground glass, what are the options? I understand a fresnel screen is something worth considering? Is this something that replaces the ground glass or something additional?
    With Sinar, the accessory Fresnel is mounted in a metal frame that clips into the ground-glass frame behind the ground glass, so it is easy to use it when you want it and not use it when you don't. The Fresnel is good for lenses of 150mm and longer, but it will fail you if you attempt to use it with lenses shorter than 90mm.

I use shorter lenses routinely, so I invested in a Maxwell screen for my Sinar, and it was very much worth the investment ($300). It's a marvel even with lenses in the normal range, but I might not have felt compelled to spend the money with lenses in the 150-180 range and longer. The Sinar Fresnel can often be found used in its metal frame for well under $100, though the plastic might be a bit scratched up.

Rick "noting that Bill Maxwell will tell you how to polish those scratches off the Sinar Fresnel" Denney

Note that while many accessories interchange, that fresnel won't snap into the holders for the fresnel on the Sinar.

Cheers erie,

I'm going to hold off that fresnel for now and double/triple up on tshirts until it becomes unbearable. I didn't get into this large format game to be spending money

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    Note that while many accessories interchange, that fresnel won't snap into the holders for the fresnel on the Sinar.
    You're right--I missed the link. The Sinar accessory needs to be a Sinar-branded accessory, though sometimes you can buy the frame and attach your own Fresnel. It's easier and no more expensive, though, to just buy it complete.

Rick "noting that Horseman lens boards and bellows are the only interchanging items" Denney

It might be worthwhile contacting Steve Hopf via his eBay store. He can answer some of your concerns and make you a bright new GG for under $40.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Steve-Hopfs-Ground-Glass-Store

I'll second on Steve Hopf...replaced the GG in my Toyo 8x10M...wow...now that is one fine and very bright GG..........and I have a Maxwell on my Linhof 4x5........Try Steves first....dang that great glass..

Ordered some glass from Steve so should hopefully get it sometime this week. Looking forward to giving it a go!