Thread: Source for Long Throw Cable Release?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Source for Long Throw Cable Release?

I have a rather long one (32") that came with the Sinar Auto Shutter. However, I'm using the shutter as a regular camera shutter, with adapters, to time exposures for Brass lenses and this is a ponderous metal clad piece of apparatus not neccessary for my needs . For my purpose, any 10" or so cable release will work as long as the steel shaft protrudes at least 2". Is there such a thing? Thanks!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Lachlan 717

Re: Source for Long Throw Cable Release?

I tried many, many places to find Sinar cables (of any length) about a year ago.

I couldn't find any that came close to having a throw long enough to trigger the shutter.

Good luck with your search!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I don't know of any other cable release capable of operating the Sinar Copal shutter - it has to be big & heavy & not very flexible because of the force required to cock & fire the shutter in one press.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    I have a rather long one (32") that came with the Sinar Auto Shutter. However, I'm using the shutter as a regular camera shutter, with adapters, to time exposures for Brass lenses and this is a ponderous metal clad piece of apparatus not neccessary for my needs . For my purpose, any 10" or so cable release will work as long as the steel shaft protrudes at least 2". Is there such a thing? Thanks!
    Oh my - my girlfriend is so looking out for a long cable release for her Sinar.

do you have a picture of it - if it works with a sinar shutter, then I might be very interested in buying it...

Could you use a normal release for the Sinar? I might have some...

Apart from the extra long pin at the end, the throw is longer than all other cable releases. This has been in an earlier thread. Which is why you should never buy a sinar Copal without one! I think that "adaption" of other types of photographic cable release is doomed to failure as they only just manage other, less demanding shutters. I would suggest that modified bowden cable for a more heavy duty function (not from an automative clutch though!) might fit the bill. I think I will check my local cycle store. Most bowden systems are designed for pull rather than push functions.

Lachlan 717

The Sinar cable is a significant piece of kit. I would estimate that it is at least twice the thickness of a "standard" one. And, with that, I would assume about twice the compressive strength.

The pin is also significantly thicker than a standard one.

So, I would reiterate Steven's thoughts: ...you should never buy a sinar Copal without one!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

ok - I have several ones...

But they are all short in length..

My girlfriend makes self portraits, using LF, and as we are having trouble using a normal long extension cord on my Compound shutters (one doesn't react at all with this cord - the other has a wrong size thread..), my question is: Can it really be true that Sinar havn't made a long extension cord? (3m or more..)