Thread: Hello from central Iowa

Hello from central Iowa

I'm wet behind the ears. I wanted to try my hand at 4x5 and made mention of this on flickr. I was graciously hooked me up with a Cambo 4x5 rig with a 90mm f8 Schneider lens.

So here I am.

My background is that I figured out the basics of photography in 2005, got into shooting and processing b&w film in 2006, darkroom in 2007...

I'm the crazy cat lady of cheap, working cameras. I own too many but primarily shoot with a Leica M2 for my 35mm stuff, a Hasselblad 503cx for my medium format stuff, and well, this Cambo now for large format.

I primarily shoot b&w because I can work with it easily at home. I'd like to start working with C41 and E6 at home this year.

I learn something new every day when it comes to photography. I'm continuing the journey into madness now with a bigger, heavier camera kit to lug around.

Here's my first ever 4x5 shot on some expired Tmax 400 that I did last night:

Re: Hello from central Iowa

Welcome. Greetings from Western Iowa (Atlantic).

Allen

Welcome to group therepy. That Cambo will do pretty much anything you would ask of a view camera...the 90mm lens is a good wide angle, the length I use alot, but has the same limitations of all wide angles; you'll probably want to add a "normal" length
    (150mm to 160mm) and a slightly longer lens (240mm to 250mm) in the near future to provide you with a good all-around setup with which you can tackle most types of shots you might want to do. By the way, I shoot alot with a 90mm on my Cambo and usually prefer to use a bag-bellows and put both standards in front of the tripod mount to maintain maximum movements in the camera...works well that way with the 90mm on a flat board. Have fun, shoot lots!

Welcome, Luke. I've run across your photos on Flickr - you've got a good eye. You should haul that Cambo out to the wind turbines

Hi Luke. Welcome to the LF Forum.

I think maybe we've met before. Did you come to Cambridge to buy a Canonet from me a few years ago?

Matt Miller
    Cambridge, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Miller View Post
    Hi Luke. Welcome to the LF Forum.

I think maybe we've met before. Did you come to Cambridge to buy a Canonet from me a few years ago?

Matt Miller
    Cambridge, IA

Yes indeed. I've still got it too. I think since we last spoke I set up a darkroom in my basement. Said darkroom still has no way to make enlargements of 4x5 though since my ceiling is too low to fit a 4x5 enlarger down there.

Hi Luke,

Welcome to the madness. I'll bet a Beseler 45 enlarger will fit in your basement.

Wayne Scott
    Drakesville, IA

I like the looks of your assistant.

Hi Luke,

Nice job on your virgin 4x5 image. You picked some very symbolic subject matter.

Thanks Harley. My basement is full of odds and ends and this just happened to be the three things I grabbed

I hooked the PC cord from a pair of novatron strobes to get enough light to test the camera and lens out. I pulled the film to 160 to avoid the aging fog the base has at 400iso development so bright light was a must until I get bulb mode working on the shutter.