Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirt cheap 4x5 studio camera?

Dirt cheap 4x5 studio camera?

I am saving up for a Chamonix, and am considering also getting a really cheap 4x5 studio camera, like perhaps a Cambo or something. It looks like it might be possible to get one for perhaps 100 Euro, with a little patience and luck. Any recommendations as to which models are cheap but good, like perhaps an SC or SC2? Do they take Technika lens plates (my only 4x5 lens has a Technika plate, as will the Chamonix)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Dirt cheap 4x5 studio camera?

Cambos (and the Calumet versions) have their own lensboard which is quite a bit bigger than a Technika board. The only converter boards I have seen have been fairly expensive, but it may be possible to build your own. The older square rail versions are cheaper than the more precise dovetail rail types but both use the same boards and accessories. One advantage of the square rail versions is that the 5x7 and 8x10 upgrades are relatively common and cheap. If you want extra boards or other bits and pieces KEH is usually cheaper than eBay for individual pieces.

Thanks for the tips.

Hmm, I wouldn't want to swap boards all the time, so I suppose a converter board would be the way to go. I will look for one at a reasonable price. Do you have any links handy? I don't find any at Keh or B&H.

In the USA SK Grimes in Rhode Island makes a Cambo adapter board that allows for use of a Technika board. Cost was $125. This company us used by many US large format photographer for services and the also machine parts for photographers. Calumat in the USA also had a Cambo adapter board as they were closing them out for about $125 I think this price is not good anymore and you may want to check their website. I have seen rail style view cameras for $150 at KEH.com. These may be Graflex view cameras however if light tight will work as well as any other camera.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Hi, Sinar stuff is usually cheaper than Cambo and easier to find.
    I have a Cambo Master (massive, geared movements, does everything) but don't use it that much.
    Picked up a Sinar Wolf/A1/Alpine for £50 without bellows - no gears, a bit crude, but very portable for backpacking. Similar to the F but a different rail to other Sinars. I like it.
    The F series often go for cheap these days.

4x5 monorails are very cheap...like less than $100 in the USA. not sure what is offered in europe.

just put the monorail money in the jar for the chamonix. the chamonix will serve you better. the faster you save the sooner you will get the chamonix.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Hmm, I'll keep my eyes open for Sinar too, but Sinars appear to have a different lens board too, so am I not just swapping one problem for another identical one?

Eddie, I wouldn't mind having both. The Chamonix will come when I get my stock plan money in mid-to-late February, so I don't really need to save in that sense, just wait.

It would be nice to have a studio 4x5 as well with more complete movements, but this is a much lower priority than the field camera, which I will use to continue a long-term project I am working on, hence the search for a lower price. The instant gratification is also at work on the studio camera

Do any similarly good and affordable 4x5 studio cameras with full movement exist (in Europe...) which take the Technika lens boards natively?

The Cambo Cadet's are very cheap in Europe I paid £100 (under 120 Euros) for mine.

Lens boards are easy to make and I think it would be extremely easy to make your own adaptor board to take a Technika board, it's what I intend to do when I'm back in the UK later this year. The Cadet is my main 5x4 in the UK as I try not to fly with a camera because of weight restrictions.

Ian

Jedi Knight

You can get a press camera for about $79 in bgn condition at keh.