Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao or Wista?

Shen Hao or Wista?

Hello there!
    I'm virtually new to large format. I used to use them at uni during my course but not since. A couple of years down using mainly digital, I now want to come back to the unbeatable quality and feel of film. Basically, I'm starting to shop around for my first LF camera. Because I've got a fairly low budget, I can't realistically hope to get a Linhof and other top of the range equipment. I just want an honest, user-friendly, value-for-money field 5x4 camera. The number of brands, types available etc is quite overwhelming!
    At the moment, I'm looking at a NEW Shen hao 4X5 HZX45-ⅡA and a USED Wista Field 45 SP at roughly the same price. Which one would you go for?... I would use it mainly for landscape photography.

Re: Shen Hao or Wista?

i've just bought a wista 45 sp and...i've got a shen hao HZX45-ⅡA too !
    What can i say...shen hao is a good value with plenty of ample movements but it's not very precise.
    Wista sp is quite similar to linhof. A very resistant camera, well built with geared and micrometric movements. The wista have the same movements than shen hao, but more precise and less ample.
    The glass is also better than shen hao, with one frenesl lens that procures more light
    A minor point for the wista ..it's heaviest than shen hao...

Octogenarian

If you can purchase a previously owned Wista SP for the same price as a Shen Hao, by all means grab the Wista.

However, make certain that the Wista is in good operating condition. If it needs adjustment or repairs, expect the final price of the Wista to rise considerably.

Personally I always prefer to buy used. The reason being that assuming you shop around and do your homework, if you ever decide to sell a piece of equipment you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it (or maybe even a little more).

Thanks ever so much, guys!
    I do have to say that the Shen Hao looked really beautiful compared to the Wista which has a bit of paint chipping around the back... but that's no good reason to prefer one to the other! I will follow your advice and keep an eye on that Wista....

I looked at Wista and Shen Hao and went with the Shen Hao 3 years ago. I have not had have any problems with the camera or its movements. Shen Hao looks like it has larger controls knobs than Wista. If buying new the Shen Hao has a much lower cost. I compared the movements to my Cambo view camera and they cover the same angles! Shen Hao Highly Recommended.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I bought a used Chamonix 45N-1 and am having a new Maxwell screen professionally installed to deal with the focus issue. It'll be a darned fine camera once I have it back in my hands.

Lachlan 717

Go the cheaper one and put the savings into your lens/lenses.

And, don't forget that you will need a meter, dark cloth, film holders, cable releases, tripod (the list goes on...)

(I went the Shen, but only because they custom made one for me for the same basic price as a standard one).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

If the Wista's good condition I'd buy it in preference to the Shen Hao, I bought mine second hand 24 years ago, it's taken a lot of use & abuse and still performs perfectly.

The advantages are I can use 65mm to 300mm lenses with the standard bellows, it's really quick and easy to use, the screen is superb etc.

Ian

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The advantages are I can use 65mm to 300mm lenses with the standard bellows, it's really quick and easy to use, the screen is superb etc.

Ian
    My new Shen will do 65mm up to 400mm with standard bellows (if that is a concern)...

Non-folding, so very quick to set up.

As good a screen as my (now-redundant) Horeseman L-Series!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky