Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Exhibition to benefit Cancer Research update

LF Exhibition to benefit Cancer Research update

Greetings Everyone,

The Large Format Exhibition to benefit Cancer Research is scheduled for April 8, 2010. The Middlesex Cancer Center has realized tens of thousands of dollars because of past generosity by the Large Format community. This year the Cancer Center has an advertising budget to go along with what has always been a lavish display of food and spirits for the viewing and exhibition of LF photographic art.

The formula remains unchanged, 50 LF photographers donate 3 different images of appropriate size and in return receive one free numbered ticket. An additional 100 tickets are sold to art patrons and discerning art buyers @ $175.00 per ticket. Each ticket is randomly drawn with corresponding ticket holder choosing any LF photograph which still remains. The evening is fast paced and quite rewarding even if you are unable to attend in person.

Guidelines for Submissions to "Raid our Gallery 2010"

Our guidelines are quite simple - we appreciate your cooperation. We have pre purchased clear archival bags only in the sizes listed below and the hospital has given us guidelines regarding subject content.

Format - we are promoting this as a "Large Format" show. All images need to have been captured with 4x5 or larger format. Output can be either traditional wet process (black and white or color prints), Alternative process (platinum, palladium, albumen, carbon, etc..) or digital prints.

Size - outer dimension of mount and mat should be 14x18, 16x20 or 15x25 (for those who shoot in panoramic format). Total thickness of mount and mat should not exceed 8 ply - i.e. a 4 ply mount and a 4 ply mat. Anything thicker will not fit into the bags.

Content - The Hospital has politely made reference to what this benefit is about-- the celebration of life and those that dedicate themselves to preserving it--as such they have referenced their joy in receiving all of the work but in particular those that exhibit the 'life giving' qualities that represent what their work strives for. Images that are of an "uplifting" nature would be most appropriate. For example, scenics, still lifes, etc... will be more inspirational to their audience than images depicting urban decay. You need not limit your entry to the 2 genres mentioned above, but keep in mind the Hospital's need to present tasteful images that also have broad appeal.

Entry Deadline: For Jpegs of each submission February 15th

300 DPI & 2700 pixels on the longest dimension of the file
    Cancer Center is printing a complete program listing of all images and contributing artists.

Original LF Works: shipped to us by March 15th

Ship Entries to: NELFPC C/O Steve Sherman 2 Brandee Lane, Rocky Hill, CT. 06067

or

NELFPC C/O Curtis Studio 216 Main St. Durham, CT 06422

Lastly, NELFPC is committed to growing this project to larger more metropolitan venues and believe the project can be moved around the country and beyond our borders going forward. This year we are fortunate to accept LF donations from Japan and do believe one day soon this will be an international exhibition on the grandest of scales.

Re: LF Exhibition to benefit Cancer Research update

This is a great idea and I hope it is well received by LFers in this region... wish they had something similar in my neck of the woods.

My "day job" is in clinical development of oncology biologics and - though great strides are being made - we still have a way to go.

If I was local and had the prints to submit, I'd be there in a flash. Best of luck!

Landscape/Still Life

Steve, As always I am always in for this maybe I will actually be able to go this year... Instead of being at home wondering how everything went... Thanks again a Happy participant Ted

This is a wonderful event and a worthy cause to support. I encourage any and all Large Format photographers to participate. And it is followed by a great weekend of photo events.
    I am looking forward to joining in on the fun again this year.

gene

This is a wonderful cause and event and look forward to participating again. Just wish I could be there for the event too.

Thanks to this event , I was forced to use a 4x5 monorail camera for the first time in my life.
    What a lousy, experience, the camera is heavy, the lugging around was a royal pain in the ass, setting up in total darkness*night photography* well I am not even going there.
    Today to further torture myself I am going to use a 8x10/11x14 studio camera that looks like it was built 700 years ago. This camera would probably make all you large format knobs drool but for me working with this is camera is like having dental work with no funny gas.
    If my works of art fail, then I am going to drill a hole through my darkroom wall , hang paper on the wall and pose nude on the other side of the wall much like a large pinhole camera.
    Now you can really call that wide format art, I got to stop eating those cheeseburgers.

Way to go Steve , all these rules about 4x5 negative or larger is driving me nuts but I promise the work will be in your hands in time and really looking forward to the event.

BTW mucklucs and blue jean jackets of course are ok for this fancy party???

bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Thanks to this event , I was forced to use a 4x5 monorail camera for the first time in my life.
    What a lousy, experience, the camera is heavy, the lugging around was a royal pain in the ass, setting up in total darkness*night photography* well I am not even going there.
    Today to further torture myself I am going to use a 8x10/11x14 studio camera that looks like it was built 700 years ago. This camera would probably make all you large format knobs drool but for me working with this is camera is like having dental work with no funny gas.
    If my works of art fail, then I am going to drill a hole through my darkroom wall , hang paper on the wall and pose nude on the other side of the wall much like a large pinhole camera.
    Now you can really call that wide format art, I got to stop eating those cheeseburgers.

Way to go Steve , all these rules about 4x5 negative or larger is driving me nuts but I promise the work will be in your hands in time and really looking forward to the event.

BTW mucklucs and blue jean jackets of course are ok for this fancy party???

bob
    PLEASE ! Somebody in Toronto get over help Carnie with that damn camera, we don't want him drilling a hole in his brand new darkroom wall.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    PLEASE ! Somebody in Toronto get over help Carnie with that damn camera, we don't want him drilling a hole in his brand new darkroom wall.
    Now his head.....we would have to take numbers, turns and reject those that got in line thrice.

monty

Does the partcipation in the show provide a synposis of what the donated work sold for? I did some charitable work back in the early 1990's and the show informed me of the final auction price.

Quote Originally Posted by NELFPC View Post
    Greetings Everyone,

The Large Format Exhibition to benefit Cancer Research is scheduled for April 8, 2010. The Middlesex Cancer Center has realized tens of thousands of dollars because of past generosity by the Large Format community. This year the Cancer Center has an advertising budget to go along with what has always been a lavish display of food and spirits for the viewing and exhibition of LF photographic art.

The formula remains unchanged, 50 LF photographers donate 3 different images of appropriate size and in return receive one free numbered ticket. An additional 100 tickets are sold to art patrons and discerning art buyers @ $175.00 per ticket. Each ticket is randomly drawn with corresponding ticket holder choosing any LF photograph which still remains. The evening is fast paced and quite rewarding even if you are unable to attend in person.

Guidelines for Submissions to "Raid our Gallery 2010"

Our guidelines are quite simple - we appreciate your cooperation. We have pre purchased clear archival bags only in the sizes listed below and the hospital has given us guidelines regarding subject content.

Format - we are promoting this as a "Large Format" show. All images need to have been captured with 4x5 or larger format. Output can be either traditional wet process (black and white or color prints), Alternative process (platinum, palladium, albumen, carbon, etc..) or digital prints.

Size - outer dimension of mount and mat should be 14x18, 16x20 or 15x25 (for those who shoot in panoramic format). Total thickness of mount and mat should not exceed 8 ply - i.e. a 4 ply mount and a 4 ply mat. Anything thicker will not fit into the bags.

Content - The Hospital has politely made reference to what this benefit is about-- the celebration of life and those that dedicate themselves to preserving it--as such they have referenced their joy in receiving all of the work but in particular those that exhibit the 'life giving' qualities that represent what their work strives for. Images that are of an "uplifting" nature would be most appropriate. For example, scenics, still lifes, etc... will be more inspirational to their audience than images depicting urban decay. You need not limit your entry to the 2 genres mentioned above, but keep in mind the Hospital's need to present tasteful images that also have broad appeal.

Entry Deadline: For Jpegs of each submission February 15th

300 DPI & 2700 pixels on the longest dimension of the file
    Cancer Center is printing a complete program listing of all images and contributing artists.

Original LF Works: shipped to us by March 15th

Ship Entries to: NELFPC C/O Steve Sherman 2 Brandee Lane, Rocky Hill, CT. 06067

or

NELFPC C/O Curtis Studio 216 Main St. Durham, CT 06422

Lastly, NELFPC is committed to growing this project to larger more metropolitan venues and believe the project can be moved around the country and beyond our borders going forward. This year we are fortunate to accept LF donations from Japan and do believe one day soon this will be an international exhibition on the grandest of scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Does the partcipation in the show provide a synposis of what the donated work sold for? I did some charitable work back in the early 1990's and the show informed me of the final auction price.
    I believe it's $175
    An additional 100 tickets are sold to art patrons and discerning art buyers @ $175.00 per ticket. Each ticket is randomly drawn with corresponding ticket holder choosing any LF photograph which still remains.

100 tickets at $175= $17,500 donated.