Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic

Advice on Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic (New to LF and need a reasonable camera to start with) with a 135/4.7 Schneider Xenar to shoot landscapes as well as portraits. I would like to know if there is a reversible/adaptor that was made for this camera or would you have to screw it on its side onto the tripod for portraits ? Also, is it essential to get a Harrison pop-up tent to load the film on ?

Would appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Re: Advice on Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic

Welcome Ihdowek. I'll leave the reversible adapter question to a Graflex owner, as my Busch Pressman "D" has a rotating back. Seems to me that most Graflex cameras have mounts for both landscape and portrait orientation, don't they? As far as loading film, any decent size black bag will be quite sufficient. I don't even use one - I load my film in the bathroom nowadays.

There is a 1/4" mount underneath the leather handle/grip.

It might logically seem that having to turn it on its side would be a problem, however it turns out that (for portraits and most landscapes) after using it that way for a little while it is no problem at all. Very much like learning to shoot a 35mm camera just by turning it vertically.
    The only time there is a significant problem is if tilts, shifts, or swings are needed, which (practically) cannot be done with a Graphic in portrait orientation. But in my opinion if you need these movements, then you should be thinking about something other than a Graphic. I have a Crown Graphic and a Linhof Technika, and prefer using the Crown for portraits and most landscapes.
    Oh, yeah, and welcome to the asylum.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Bill and Mike gave the answers to most of your question. No a Harrison tent is not required. You can load film in any darkroom or changing bag. I use a closet at night or the darkroom to load and unload film holders. Never owned a changing bag and I don't shoot often enough to make one necessary.

A Harrison is really nice though. But you can wait until night and stick some towels or tape around a bathroom or basement or even a closet to load film. Wipe the loading area down to eliminate as much dust as possible. The enameled top of toilet can work well.

Just allow your eyes 30 seconds or so to adjust to the darkness and look for light leaks. If anything can cast even the faintest shadow, it is too bright. Anticipate cars pulling down the driveway, etc.

Yep having two tripod holes simplifies and lightens the Crown. Just unbuckle the side hand strap to make it easier to mount onto a tripod.

You can go a couple of other ways. Either put quick release plates on both sides for quicker reverses or consider a Super Graphic which has the rotating back and cams for rangefinding. If you go with plates you loose the strap unless you go Velcro.

The Graflex Super Graphic has more movements than the Crown Graphic, is aluminum bodied rather than wood, takes rangefinder cams for different lenses, and also has a rotating Graflok back. These can sometimes found quite reasonably-- I bought a nice one for $250 from a member here on the LF Forum a few months ago.

Yeah except the RF isn't as good and they break easier and the electronics go to hell ;-)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Yeah except the RF isn't as good and they break easier and the electronics go to hell ;-)
    C'mon Frank... be nice. Neither of these is true for mine. Please don't jinx me!