Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebony 45SU

Ebony 45SU

I just recieved my Ebony 45SU from Badger Graphic; what a camera! I have been u sing technical cameras for the past 13 years so it will take a little while to g et used to sliding movements but the range of movements are truly amazing for su ch a compact camera. I know I will run out of lens before I run out of camera, as it should be. I am proud to be a member of the "club".

Ebony 45SU

I know some may "poo-poo" our Ebony enthusiasm as little more than a camera-of-the-moment fad, but I just got my camera a few nights ago and have found myself setting it up repeatedly and working through the functions and features, or just staring at the damn thing! I never did that with my Wisner. The overriding thought that keeps coming to mind over and over again is, the designer of this camera is a genius. I think I have the cheapest camera he makes (RW45), yet the attention to detail, functionality and aesthetics of it are simply amazing.

Ebony 45SU

Jeffrey,

Welcome to the Ebony club, you will enjoy your camera better each time you use it. I have the 45S and it is superb, as you say, the movements are truly amazing. Unfortunately due to ongoing opthalmic problems I am having to leave "the club" and have to sell my beautiful LF camera & lenses.

I'm sure you will get many years happy shooting and good luck with your new camera.

---------------- Quality is remembered, long after the price is forgotten.

Kind regards

Ebony 45SU

Hi Jeffrey, Yes I think you're right - Hiromi is a genius!! I've owned my SW45 for 2 years almost and when the weather's too foul to venture out for taking photos, I find myself setting up and "playing" with the camera - just to admire the craftsmanship!!!! I must admit, I've never done this with any other camera!! I think the smell of the thing is addictive and probably explains why we do this! BUT, although there appears to be an unofficial Ebony "club", I'm glad to say that it doesn't follow the "I own a Leica so I'm better than you" path! IMHO, LF is one area of photography where choice of gear comes second to talent/skill/experience! Enjoy your Ebony for many years to come! Regards Paul

Ebony 45SU

Man, these consistently enthusiastic Ebony posts really fire me up. I am running a lot of Portra through my Bronicas with the purpose of saving towards an RW45, my first LF camera. This camera is to be a selfish purchase; if I never make a dime from any image taken with it,I really don't care! I am just looking forward to the process of using a beautifully made instrument to create the best images of which I am capable. Patience, patience, patience....!

Ebony 45SU

I tell ya, I think I need a cold shower after reading some of these Ebony descriptions. A cold shower, followed by a bank heist so that I could afford to buy one of those babys.

Ebony 45SU

Time to dispel the myth!! EBONY cameras are not that expensive!!! Ok, some of them are!! But you can get hold of an RW, RSW, SW for the same sort of money as other makes. Robert White has some excellent deals on the RW and RSW in kit form as well as body only prices. Anyhow, an Ebony really is an investment and IS worth the extra outlay.

Ebony 45SU

Paul is absolutely right! I paid just $1600 for my RW45 brand spankin' new.

Ebony 45SU

Yes, Ebony cameras may appear to be expensive but if you consider that it will probably be a final purchase the cost can be justified. Over the years we all buy and sell and trade up to the next level of camera, just think of all the lost dollars involved in such transactions. Buy the best first and save all the money for other things like a trip somewhere to use the camera for image-making!

Ebony 45SU

Yeah, but I want an 8x10, and the cheapest 8x10 Ebony is nearly $6,000!