Thread: Hi's from Japan

Hi's from Japan

My name is Ghanem AL Romaithi. I started D-SLR in 2007, but now I kind of went the other way. I own Canon EOS 5D, 5D Mark II, 1V, 1Ds Mark III. Kowa 6. and now I am planing to buy Ebony Camera either the 4x5 or 5X7. I joined to seek help on deciding which model to buy, and hopefully learn from others. I am new to Large format. Any kind of things I should be concern about?

Thanks,a

Re: Hi's from Japan

Welcome to group therepy. The 5x7 format is one I've always liked...great aspect ratio and much like the 35mm's which I have used a lot, but the 4x5 has one big advantage: availability of film. 4x5 film is made in many more emulsions than any other sheet size and is much more likely to be found in a camera store (yeah, I know we all usually order it) in a pinch than any other sheet film size. Maybe the ideal situation for you would be an Ebony 5x7 with an extra back in 4x5??? Only a little more weight to carry around! Good luck...shoot lots!

Welcome. I agree with Vick: Buy a 5x7 with a 4x5 reduction back. It depends on, of course, what aspect ratio you prefer - more rectangular like a 5x7 or more square like the 4x5. Ebony makes beautiful cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy. The 5x7 format is one I've always liked...great aspect ratio and much like the 35mm's which I have used a lot, but the 4x5 has one big advantage: availability of film. 4x5 film is made in many more emulsions than any other sheet size and is much more likely to be found in a camera store (yeah, I know we all usually order it) in a pinch than any other sheet film size. Maybe the ideal situation for you would be an Ebony 5x7 with an extra back in 4x5??? Only a little more weight to carry around! Good luck...shoot lots!
    Thanks Vick for the welcome. at first i was going for the 4X5. but at the last moment, my friend told me why not to go for the 5X7 and get a reducing back to 4X5 so i would have both sizes. I contacted Ebony yesterday and I asked for a quote. man, I was shocked when I checked my E-mail this morning. $1000 for the reducing back!! I was going to buy both at once. but now, i have to start saving agin. About the size, who said that size dose not matter. It dose. i guess i should learn how to cut my own film. buy 8X10 and cut them to size.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    Welcome. I agree with Vick: Buy a 5x7 with a 4x5 reduction back. It depends on, of course, what aspect ratio you prefer - more rectangular like a 5x7 or more square like the 4x5. Ebony makes beautiful cameras.
    Hi Renato,
    From what I have learned from different sites, that the aspect ratio matters. if i will be shooting black & white, the 5X7 are much appealing to the eye then the 4X5. the details will be amazing. also if i am making contact prints.

OK...so you didn't check on the Ebony prices first ...quite a shock, huh? Well, you can still look at used or you can look at other brands, many of which are significantly less expensive than Ebony. Due to my subject matter (architecture), I went with a Cambo 4x5 rail camera that I got for less than $200 used and started with a fairly inexpensive "normal" lens of about 160mm (now I have lenses ranging from 65mm to 350mm...it always ends up expensive); I've added other cameras and lenses as they were needed. Have fun!!!