Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay and PayPal Policies

Ebay and PayPal Policies

I just sold an item on ebay for the first time in a couple years. When I first prepared the listing I said it could be paid for by PayPal, check, money order, etc. The listing wouldn't go through that way, instead I received a notice that payment had to be by PayPal only. So I did that. The item sold and I immediately received a notice from PayPal saying they were holding my money for 21 days, after which I could withdraw it as long as the buyer didn't report any problems (or that maybe they'd be good enough to let me have my money sooner if the buyer posted positive feedback). I don't sell on ebay very often but this is the first time I've run into anything like this. I'm amazed that I have to ship my item without being able to first withdraw my money. And if the buyer reports a problem he still has the item I sold but I don't have the money.

I'm just curious - is this now the standard ebay/PayPal policy i.e. does everyone get subjected to this 21 day treatment or have I been singled out for some reason (I have 100% positive feedback on ebay so it certainly isn't related to any past problems I've had).

Moderators - if this is in the wrong place please move it or feel free to delete it if it's considered an inappropriate topic for the LF forum.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Ebay and PayPal Policies

I have had this happen to me and I got a bullshit message about it being for my protection.
    The hold is waved if you have enough history of selling. But I suspect in my case the real reason it was held was because the buyer had just signed up and made first purchase. Ebay thinks this may be fraudulent use of a card for payment so won't let you take the money as you could just take money and stop any charge backs. If it was card fraud then you lose out unless you can convince ebay to pay up. They won't tell you that though.
    Just mail the buyer and tell them ebay has put a hold on payment and that you won't release item until they do. Also in future spell it out in selling terms that you won't ship until ebay release the funds.

Banks are bastards

Lachlan 717

Did you check the "Immediate payment required" option? (I've never seen the scenario that you described...)
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

They did that to me once. As soon as I received notice of what they did and how much they were holding - without paying me interest while they used my money - I called them and was told that that was policy. I asked for a supervisor and was tol the same thing. I asked for his supervisor and in very strong language explained that I expected the monies to be deposited in my bank within 24 hours or I would immediately file small claims court proceedings.

The money was in my bank the next day.

FeeBay and Pay-thru-the-nose-Pal continue to get worse and worse and worse. I quit greedBay and Pay-me-all-of-it-Pal years ago.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    FeeBay and Pay-thru-the-nose-Pal continue to get worse and worse and worse. I quit greedBay and Pay-me-all-of-it-Pal years ago.
    With all due respect to your (probably correct!!) feelings
    to eBay/PayPal, for the sake of those still not fully p#ssed off with it, can we please try to let the information, rather than the vitriol, come out in this thread?

Otherwise, I feel that your sentiment will be reiterated ad nauseum!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

a few questions.
    did you verify your bank address, and maybe SS #? this will make using some features easy and it will give your account more credibility. this may help. i do not know. i have to verify the above to be able to with drawl more than $500 per month. i have had no problems so far.

i think it will only hurt you to hold the item for 21 days......your innocent buyer will be the only affected party. just add a nice not e saying you have left him pos feedback and would the buyer please do this after the item has been received. most people are good......

my wife has just opened a PP account (and e bay!....she has been "gambling" already!) so i will see what happens to her and see if we can get the cash any other way or faster.....maybe i will buy something form her just to make the test.

i try and play within the PP rules....so far so good. a few things to keep in mind. i insure the package no matter what. i assume ebay and PP will not cover me. PP sellers protection appears to be only non delivery or unauthorized signature....nothing else. i use the PO insurance. anything over $300 gets you a signature that you need for PP by default. paying the $2 for signature confirm is not worth it....you may as well just buy the insurance.

a second more important thing i learned is that PP does not warranty the goods condition. i learned this from a forum member here....he got screwed by another forum member a while back. basically IF you buy something and you are suspect of the buyer or just want to be covered USE your credit card as the funding source! for example if you buy a watch and a rock comes inside the package PP will not cover you! (your CC should and ebay goods are covered) they say they do not warranties condition! that is just F ed up......

oh! i also ship 90% of the stuff priority mail....fast and cheap if you are going a long way. neither you or the buyer will have to wait to long this way. NY-Ca takes 2 days usually. so if you go PM and ask the buyer ti leave pos feedback you should have your money in 3-5 days. (about as long as an e check takes)

please keep us posted on how this goes and when/if you have this hold lifted in the future. OH! maybe if you have proof of delivery you will get your $$ sooner.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

As others have stated - this happens when you do not sell very often on eBay. They will hold your money for 21 days or until your buyer has left positive feedback. I don't think there is anything you can do about it - eBay and Paypal have gotten very buyer-only oriented - they seem to think that sellers are by default crooks. The pendulum has swung too far IMHO.
    Juergen

Interestingly, while PayPal is obligatory for sellers on most of the English language feeBay sites (USA, UK, Australia), it is not on feeBay Canada. You could still list (mind you I have not done so in some time) on the Canada site even if you did not take PayPal.

I do not know for certain the reasons for that, but it may be related to Canadian banking laws. And with sincere apologies to ducks everywhere, it may be that if it walks like a banker and quacks like a banker, then it may be viewed as a banker by the Canadian banking laws. And if you do not comply, you do not play.

As a mandatory financial service, it would presumeably get closer observation than it would as a optional service.

Just some observations and speculation...

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    - eBay and Paypal have gotten very buyer-only oriented - they seem to think that sellers are by default crooks.
    As a buyer-only, I disagree. To me they seem to be leaning over backwards for the sellers. Apparently it is an equal-opportunity screwer.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)