I just sold an item on ebay for the first time in a couple years. When I first prepared the listing I said it could be paid for by PayPal, check, money order, etc. The listing wouldn't go through that way, instead I received a notice that payment had to be by PayPal only. So I did that. The item sold and I immediately received a notice from PayPal saying they were holding my money for 21 days, after which I could withdraw it as long as the buyer didn't report any problems (or that maybe they'd be good enough to let me have my money sooner if the buyer posted positive feedback). I don't sell on ebay very often but this is the first time I've run into anything like this. I'm amazed that I have to ship my item without being able to first withdraw my money. And if the buyer reports a problem he still has the item I sold but I don't have the money.

I'm just curious - is this now the standard ebay/PayPal policy i.e. does everyone get subjected to this 21 day treatment or have I been singled out for some reason (I have 100% positive feedback on ebay so it certainly isn't related to any past problems I've had).

Moderators - if this is in the wrong place please move it or feel free to delete it if it's considered an inappropriate topic for the LF forum.