Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot color and convert to BW digitally?

Anyone shoot color and convert to BW digitally?

I'm new to LF. I like to shoot 35mm color film and DSLR and convert it to BW digitally using the techniques described in the book "Advanced Digital Black and White Photography" by John Beardsworth. An advantage of producing BW this way is that you can effectively apply color filters in post processing interactively.

Does anyone do this in large format? If so what film do you use?

...Mike

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Anyone shoot color and convert to BW digitally?

I don't do it in large format because large format color chemistry is so expensive, but I do it a lot with smaller formats. I shoot color slide film in the camera and make a B&W internegative onto pan film. You can indeed apply color filters at this stage if you want. I get very nice prints this way; in many ways they are 'better' than using B&W film in the camera.

Yeah if you are in a Photoshop and inkjet workflow why not? The only hassle is the added expense of color film. Color neg makes a lot more sense to shoot and scan, I like Kodak Portra NC 400 and 160 ISO. Longer range, more forgiving....

I've started to do the conversion from 35mm transparencies to B&W using PS then inkjet printing. But only with material that I've found unsuitable for color printing using Inkjet or Ilfochrome. For me, so far, it amounts to a salvage job for older 35 mm chromes when I want a print for documentary purposes. Often slides that are too monochromatic or that are what would be called "snapshots". No 4X5 conversions yet since I shoot originals in both transparencies and B&W.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

This is the way I plan to do it. But don't tell my buddies on APUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    This is the way I plan to do it. But don't tell my buddies on APUG.
    Well C.B. they will discover your duplicitous ways sooner or later.

Don Bryant

Yeah and then that petty bastard will ban you

Just waiting to be developed..

Occasionally i do it. I have sometimes ran out of B&W film or the shot after i scan it looks so much better in B&W.
    I mostly shoot Fuji Pro 160s. It converts nicely to B&W and so does 160VC which i use in QL.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Whilst you can gain some flexibility in your B&W conversion in this manner (at large chemistry and film cost), you lose the ability to control the scale of your film.
    For example, if you have a scene that has a dynamic range that is too large for the film that you are using, you can increase the exposure time and reduce the film development time to compress the highlights to fit into the dynamic range of the negative.
    This process is Ansel Adam's Zone System and is explained in his book, The Negative.
    It is a big advantage of sheet film over roll film because each sheet can be developed individually according to its needs and doesn't work properly with colour films.
    These considerations may or may not be of concern to your particular photography style and subject matter but whatever you do, enjoy yourself

Mike, I've a friend who swears by this, shooting transparencies and scanning for inkjets. Says he can retroactively apply filters and augment/reduce color to tones. I note that he makes only small prints and has never been in a darkroom himself (and so on). At 11x14 his prints looked pretty good though. C41 isn't more difficult than B/W. If you want to seriously alter images in Photoslop it may be the best way to go.