Thread: Problem with Schneider lenses -- screw sticking out

Problem with Schneider lenses -- screw sticking out

I'm having an issue with a couple of Schneider lenses (they're both 150mm -- one's a convertible Symmar f5.6 and the other a Xenar f4.5). On the back side of the Compur shutter, there is screw that sticks up about 1/4 cm and causes the lens to not lie flush against the lensboard. These screws scratch the lens board and obviously do not screw tightly as the lens is skewed - it's minor but nonetheless it's not flush. Something is wrong here. Maybe I'm missing something here because it's the same in both lenses. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Problem with Schneider lenses -- screw sticking out

The screws are there to fit in a notch in the lens board to prevent the lens from rotating. You can either cut a small notch in the board,or simply remove the screws–which is what I do.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

The only purpose of this screw is to keep the shutter from rotating on the lensboard if you have a corresponding lensboard hole which the screw fits into. I had some of these on my old Graphic view. Remove the screw so that the shutter is flat against the lensboard, make sure the flange is on tight, and you will be fine. Or you can drill a hole in the lensboard so that screw head fits in it, but personally I've never found the need.

Cheers!
    Bill

Thanks everybody for your replies! This was a huge help!
    I get annoyed when the placement of the notches slide and I'm fumbling to find the aperture so I kind of like the idea. So I went ahead and drilled a hole.
    It worked perfectly! I just hope there won't be a light leak as there is now a tiny hole through the lens board. It looks OK but I will do a test.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk8608 View Post
    Thanks everybody for your replies! This was a huge help!
    I get annoyed when the placement of the notches slide and I'm fumbling to find the aperture so I kind of like the idea. So I went ahead and drilled a hole.
    It worked perfectly! I just hope there won't be a light leak as there is now a tiny hole through the lens board. It looks OK but I will do a test.
    If there's a hole in the lens board itself you're almost guaranteed to get a light leak. I ruined about 20 photographs on a trip to Yosemite by having a hole in a lens board. After that I covered the hole with a couple pieces of black electrical tape and everything was fine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Lofoten, Northern Norway

Don't worry. The shutter body overlaps the hole in the lensboard enough to block the light. If you are not completely shure, cover the hole on the back of the board with dark tape or even better with some matte black paper or wowen tape blackened with ink from a felt pen. A plastic tape may be too shiny.

Svein

I just wanted to let everyone know the results of my issue:

I've been shooting with the new small hole in the lens board and there is absolutely no light leak. It's far enough behind the shutter, I believe.
    I also am glad I did this because I like knowing exactly where the dials are located.
    Before doing this, I remember the shutter turning over time and I would end up thumbing around to find the dials in the dark ( I shoot at night). Thanks for all the feedback everybody!