Thread: Back from Ouray & Grand Canyon!

Back from Ouray & Grand Canyon!

I went to Ouray to photograph the Ice Park---what a blast!
    Some observations:
    The sun illuminates the lower end of the park from about 9:30--10:30AM. These routes are shootable from the lower bridge and along the road from the parking area. There is also a metal observation platform but the path to it is slippery and the deck is expanded steel decking which isn't really suited for tripods (without some ingenuity) It is also where the ice climbers gear up and the platform is for their use, so unless it isn't being used I wouldn't attempt using it for photography. Besides a pine tree obscures part of the routes from that platform. The lower bridge and along the road is far better IMHO.
    I think a handheld camera like a Speed Graphic is the way to go. I used my Gowland 8x10 aerial with a Nikon 300mm M @ f/64 and f/45. I just returned to town and haven't souped the film yet, so...I'll have to wait and see.

The Irish Pub in Ouray has a really good sandwich: Corned Beef on slaw on marbled rye with horse radish mustard!

On the way home I had the option of waking up in Flagstaff or waking up at the Grand Canyon. I chose the Grand Canyon and this morning it was beatiful weather for photography. I didn't have much time since I had to drive home to Fresno, so I opted for a location on the second story balcony of the old stone souvenier shop next to Bright Angel Lodge. The manager kindly gave me permission to drag the 8x10 'dorff and ries 'pod through the shop and hog most of the balcony while digi 'togs patiently squeezed in around me for thier shots. I let the interested ones & kids look at the gg of the 'dorff and the experience was a lot of fun. I attempted a three shot panorama with the back situated in the vertical format. Of course I haven't souped the film yet so....I'll again have to wait and see.

I am very grateful that I didn't loose the 19" Artar overboard!

Casualties: The copal shutter on the Nikon M siezed as I was trying to expose the last of the old TMAX in Ouray and one sheet of FP-4 buckled so the dark slide ended up being driven home behind the sheet of film at the Grand Canyon Other than that the trip was a heck of a lot of fun (and even funner when I get the negs developed---I hope!)

The GI surplus jerry can coolers performed well as cases for the 'dorf and film holders, btw.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Re: Back from Ouray & Grand Canyon!

Glad your back safely and ahead of this big incoming storm. Don't know why a shutter would freeze up, unless there was a little condensation in the lens from lack
    of temp equilibrium. Never had it happen myself. On such ventures I always take an
    ice axe along to chip holds in the ice for the tripod spikes, or possibly for myself!
    Might be another wonderful wildflower year in March up along Pine Flat on the Kings.

What a nice trip. I love both places and hope some day to return to Ouray in the spring as the last time I was there it was pre-winter and kinda gray. I look forward to seeing your results.

Hi John, welcome back. Hope you are happy with the results.

About the buckled film, have you had that experience before? I think you and I use the old, wooden 8x10 holders.

Best,
    Merg

Sounds like a lot of fun was had! I'll be interested to see your ice climbing shots. I've always wanted to shoot the park, but every time I go it is a "festival" with hundreds of people lining the canyon walls watching the climbers. Did you have the place to yourself?
    regards
    erik

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Hi John, welcome back. Hope you are happy with the results.

About the buckled film, have you had that experience before? I think you and I use the old, wooden 8x10 holders.

Best,
    Merg
    Hello Merg! Yes it was one of the old Kodak holders. This seldom happens but it is quite embarrassing when stuck on a little balcony surrounded by curious digital photographers and the dark slide refuses to be driven home after taking a shot.

My cardboard for blocking the window in my daughter's bathroom where I develop and print has vanished in my absence, so I've got to cut another one in order to soup the film I went prowling behind the local shopping center this evening looking for a good piece of cardboard but the garbage folks had already emptied the dumpsters.

I can;t wait to see how these turn out!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun was had! I'll be interested to see your ice climbing shots. I've always wanted to shoot the park, but every time I go it is a "festival" with hundreds of people lining the canyon walls watching the climbers. Did you have the place to yourself?
    regards
    erik
    The Festival was the week before and Ouray was pretty dead, tourist-wise. Many of the shops, hotels & restraunts were closed for the rest of the winter but the ice climbers were certainly out in force! I've been meaning to photograph the park for the past three years, so I'm excited about finally getting the opportunity---and on 8x10 film no less!

Irish Pub indeed has good sandwiches.

I've only been there during the summer months, some of the best jeep trails I've ever driven.

Mike

Drew Wiley

John - a beautiful frozen waterfall in your own backyard is Rancheria Falls, only about a mile on snowshoes from Huntington Lake. Probably a bit too warm during this particular storm, but most winters it freezes solid. Unfortunately, the only way to photograph it close-up is from the treacherous ravine below it. Otherwise, you could ski about two miles up the closed Kaiser Pass road with a telephoto lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    John - a beautiful frozen waterfall in your own backyard is Rancheria Falls, only about a mile on snowshoes from Huntington Lake. Probably a bit too warm during this particular storm, but most winters it freezes solid. Unfortunately, the only way to photograph it close-up is from the treacherous ravine below it. Otherwise, you could ski about two miles up the closed Kaiser Pass road with a telephoto lens.

Heh-heh--- I proposed to my future bride at Rancheria Falls---that was in the summer though. That narrow trail and the thought of plummeting into the ravine is more adventure than I'm up for these days.
    I've been spoiled by Ouray Ice Park---it's only 4 blocks from the center of town and they've got an irish pub to warm up in
    Of course Rancheria falls is a lot closer---I've got snow shoes---I know where I can borrow some crampons---perhaps I can convince my brother in law to come along just in case---oh Drew, dag nabbit! You're giving my ideas!