Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider 0r Rodenstock

Schneider 0r Rodenstock

I'm getting close to purchasing my first LF (4 x 5) camera. My interests will be architectural and landscape. I suppose you could say I fall within "buy the best glass you can afford" camp.

Even though I have no LF experience from which to draw, my experience with astronomical instruments tend to lead me towards Schneider's reputation for quality glass. I realize that this is one of those areas that falls within "personal tastes," but I'd be interested comments and experiences from those that have used both Schneider and Rodenstocks lenses.

For my first lens, I'll be choosing the 150mm focal length.

So now the decision becomes which 150mm lens:

Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 150mm/5.6

Schneider APO-Symmar-L 150mm/5.6

Re: Schneider 0r Rodenstock

As the man who was offered the choice of being put to death by two very different and unpleasant ways said, they are both very bad. There are no rational grounds for choice. The best you can do is buy six or so of each, test all, and return all but the one that pleases you most.

lazy retired bum

I'm sure someone will pipe in here with reasons for one or the other but I'd argue that neither you nor anyone else will see any differences in the final prints. I'd go with the least expensive or, if used, best condition for the price. The 150 is a good choice for a first lens, though I started with a 210, whatever works for you. The only thing I'd counsel against is rushing to get more lenses before you've had a chance to learn LF and learn your first lens. I had only the 210 for a couple of years as my only glass and I think I learned a lot.

Good luck.

Eric

I'd probably do the one I could get the best deal on. I use the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar S in the 135mm, 180mm, and 240mm (8x10) focal lengths, but at the time I bought them, the Schneider Apo Symmar was a 72 degree lens and the Rodenstocks were 75 degrees (the current Apo Symmar-L is a 75 degree lens). Now in the 135mm focal length the image circle between the Apo-Sironar S and the N was only 8mm, but the Apo-Sironar S also had a wider range of optimization than the Apo-Sironar N. to 1:3 for the S and 1:5 for the N. The Apo-Sironar S also uses ED glass and holds sharpness away from center a bit better than the N.

I don't think Schneider's data shows what the "L" series is optimized for or if the glass is low dispersion (ED) although I assume it would be. The "L" series was reformulated to use lead-free glass. You might want to investigate the optimization question if you intend to shoot nature details.

And Bob Salomon might respond, I suspect he knows the answers!

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I'm getting close to purchasing my first LF (4 x 5) camera. My interests will be architectural and landscape. I suppose you could say I fall within "buy the best glass you can afford" camp.

Even though I have no LF experience from which to draw, my experience with astronomical instruments tend to lead me towards Schneider's reputation for quality glass. I realize that this is one of those areas that falls within "personal tastes," but I'd be interested comments and experiences from those that have used both Schneider and Rodenstocks lenses.

For my first lens, I'll be choosing the 150mm focal length.

So now the decision becomes which 150mm lens:

Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 150mm/5.6

Schneider APO-Symmar-L 150mm/5.6
    So why do you think a 150mm lens is the right choice? Why do you think those two particular lenses are the ones to go for at that focal length.?
    The thing is with LF that lens choice is far more difficult because it really does depend on where and what you are going to be photographing. For example for architectural interiors a 150 may be far too long. It may be far too long for a lot of exteriors too, depending on where you can position yourself. It may be long enough for landscape, it may not be or it may be too short. Being a 5.6 it will be quite a big lens for the focal length. It's weight comes into play when thinking of backpacking. Does it have shifts for your intended purpose of architectural if you want to keep verticals vertical?

You really won't know the answers to all these questions until you have used your camera for a while and found out how it all works for you through experience rather than being told. So if you are thinking of buying new you might be better advised to buy used and get a cheap 150 lens and go play with it for a while until you really know what you need rather than what you want.

Ya gotta start somewhere and 150mm is as good as any and suits most people. The OP also didn't mention whether they were going to buy new, used, or trade other gear for them, shoot exteriors or interiors, so I think what someone pays for their gear is their own business. That said, the best bang for the buck is a used current or second generation lens from a reputable dealer.

Cheers, Steve

I agree with the focal length that you are selecting as your first- as for the lenses- either- both are very good lenses and both are from very good companies. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two so pick the one you can get the best deal on.

Lachlan 717

Don't dismiss the Fujinon and Nikkors at this FL. Some awesome glass...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    So why do you think a 150mm lens is the right choice? Why do you think those two particular lenses are the ones to go for at that focal length.?
    1. Because I need to learn cameras movements.

2. Because the other Schneider 150mm is twice the price.

3. Because, I'm thinking the next lens purchase will probably be a 90mm.

I'm looking to get a Chamonix as my first camera. Landscapes and architectural exteriors. I don't want to get in too far over my head.

Other than that, like the guy Steve says: Ya gotta start somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Don't dismiss the Fujinon and Nikkors at this FL. Some awesome glass...
    Good point!