Thread: Wet Plate kits at Bostick and Sullivan

Wet Plate kits at Bostick and Sullivan

Hi Guys !!
    Luther Gerlach <epiphanie@earthlink.net>; and Dana Came up with a Wet Plate Collodion kit !
    It is ready to use upon delivery !!
    Great quality and no mess

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=368

We are not moved by things ,but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus
    My Site

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Re: Wet Plate kits at Bostick and Sullivan

Sigh... I try to resist but now you've got me into it. So where do I start ? Thanks Gus.
    Last edited by Tri Tran; 13-Jan-2010 at 13:14.

You people are beginning to annoy me. I have an ancient 5x7 Seneca with triple convertible Conley lens and half a dozen dry plate holders, just sitting there waiting for me to patch the bellows, get a new squeeze bulb and tubing, and start experimenting with dry plates. Now you want me to get chemical stains all over my shiny old plate holders?

*Sigh* I can't afford to have a job. No time...

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

hi Tri all you have to do is call Dana at
    From U.S.A 505-474-0890
    if calling from the UK, local London phone 0207-078-4187
    Epictitus
    My Site

the plate holder ?
    Wet and Dry are totally different animals if I where you I start with wet many experience wet plate people have found dry to be rather challenging
    Epictitus
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
    the plate holder ?
    Wet and Dry are totally different animals if I where you I start with wet many experience wet plate people have found dry to be rather challenging
    Only because of the expectation that pouring dry plates is the same as pouring wet plates. As you say, totally different animals. Everything about dry plate is easier, cleaner, less dangerous. I will give wet plate the advantage of (nearly) instant gratification and cool gear. Wet plate is a great process with a great look, but anyone thinking about trying 'plate' photography should not dismiss dry plate.

Have you done Dry Plates? and what type there are 3 or 4 extra steps and if the are collodion you are dealing with the same chemicals as wet
    Epictitus
    My Site

Hi Gustavo,

I'm a dry plate photographer. I make my own gelatin dry plates -- no collodion. The preparation of silver gelatin dry plate emulsion does involve a couple more steps than wet collodion, but they are done in the comfort of an indoor darkroom, and they aren't complex or dangerous if the silver nitrate is given the standard respect it desires.

But, where the 'easier' part really comes in is in the field. Except for the extra weight of glass, the whole affair is identical to working with slow sheet film. Special cameras aren't required and they are in no danger of being damaged. Dry plate holders are available ready-to-use, or can be made from old film holders.

It's not my intention to 'compete' with the idea of wet collodion. I have too much respect for the medium and its dedicated practitioners, but I do feel it's important for people to know that there is an option that is wide open to new artists who would like a chance to make their mark.

Denise Ross
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/DryP...PlatePart1.htm

My interest in dry plate over wet is that with dry plates I won't need a portable darkroom or to be messing with ether or other potentially explosive chemicals. I know folks who do wet plate and have seen the process and I agree that the results are often drop-dead gorgeous, but then so are dry plates. My interest in plates was sparked by my daughter bringing me several boxes of (used and processed) old (turn of the 20th century!) 5x7 plates from an estate auction. Then my wife brought home a 5x7 dry plate Seneca camera from another auction and, well, it just seemed to fall into place.

I plan on starting with Liquid Light emulsion (or similar) as my darkroom is really a bit on the small and crowded side to be making my own emulsions, but it seems the simplest way to go.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.