Thread: The Last Gowland 8x10

The Last Gowland 8x10

Just wanted to let you all know that I received a very kind response from Alice and Peter Gowland regarding my 8x10 comparison worksheet. Lovely people, by the way.

In it, he told me that he is retiring so doesn't need to be on the list... and mentioned he has exactly one 8x10 camera left (with a 9" slotted travel rod). Going, going...

John

Re: The Last Gowland 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Just wanted to let you all know that I received a very kind response from Alice and Peter Gowland regarding my 8x10 comparison worksheet. Lovely people, by the way.

In it, he told me that he is retiring so doesn't need to be on the list... and mentioned he has exactly one 8x10 camera left (with a 9" slotted travel rod). Going, going...

John
    John, thanks for posting. Alice and Peter are truly special people. Peter deserves a place in the Large Format Photography Hall of Fame; he has contributed so much to photography over a very long career. Best of health to the Gowland's.

It should be a collector's item, he is the photographer's photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It should be a collector's item, he is the photographer's photographer.
    He surely is. How about the Gowlandflex 4x5 TLR. Now, there was a real camera!

I called him back in mid-December to ask about getting one of his 8x10 cameras. We chatted for quite a while about the camera and his work. He said he'd call back when he determined if he had all the pieces to make one, but he never did.