Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADOX attempting a return of Forte Polywarmtone

Re: ADOX attempting a return of Forte Polywarmtone

well that was a resounding high vote for the paper! I submitted tentative orders for the paper. I'm not sure how long it will take for them to start printing or make the decision to fabricate the paper.

So if anyone here is interested in showing support, throw an order in, they dont take credit card info they are only trying to see if there is enough interest to bring the paper back. Based on what I read the machines to make the paper are in Germany or will be shortly and all fabrication will be done w/in Germany. Show support sign up, buy some.

Erick

I did register and did place a tentative order, though only a small one, just two boxes of 24x30 cm and one of 30x40 cm.
    I can't commit to buy a bigger quantity at this time. I want to see it first and make sure it resembles the Polywarmtone as I remember it. If it's close enough, then I'll definitely buy more.
    I see they only mention matte and glossy surfaces. There's no mention of the semi-matte finish. I do hope it's just an inadvertent omission, because that's actually the surface I long for. For me, Polywarmtone wouldn't be Polywarmtone without that superb semi-matt finish.

To those of you who have used both papers: How does the Forte Polywarmtone differ from the Adox MCC-110?

I haven't used MCC, but I understand it's a neutral tone paper.
    Polywarmtone, as its name implies, was a warm toned one (though you could get perfectly neutral tones in some developers).

Besides, MCC is only available in glossy or matte surfaces.
    Polywarmtone was also available in a so-called semi-matte finish, which I really liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    I haven't used MCC, but I understand it's a neutral tone paper...
    It's nicely warm toned in this developer

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/9421-C...ter?cat_id=301

and neutral in this one

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/9424-A...ter?cat_id=301.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ... and nicely cold toned in Ilford Cooltone (which is unfortunately no longer available); I haven't tried other cold tone developers yet.

Even warmer with a WT developer but also on a pure white base is Adox Variotone.

the old polywarmtone was very prone to fogging ny safelights if you had the wrong sort. Easy to overtone it if you weren't careful. I didn't like ginger prints. But a nice when you get it right.

Forte in general was a great Paper and I had my share of it. I did testing of it for Omega Satter the USA distributor-as I work for them. I had a preference for Bromofort which was only sold for a time through us before it was discontinued in the American market. I could have gotten it for some time afterwards but the expense of a lrge quantity dissuaded me.

I did really like the Polygrade when it was good. A lot of the problems people experienced were user or quirks of the paper some people failed to understand.

The toning issues were many times do to the extremely fine grain of the silver used to make the emulsions. The article quoted is an interesting read, I hope Adox is successful. The Warm papers I found were warmer than competitors. Although when the cadmium was removed from all the warm Forte papers it drastically changed the look of the prints.

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    the old polywarmtone was very prone to fogging ny safelights if you had the wrong sort. Easy to overtone it if you weren't careful. I didn't like ginger prints. But a nice when you get it right.

My two cents: I'm just finishing up my stash of 16x20 Forte WT VC and would be delighted to see another production run, even if on different paper (hopefully keeping the neutral base). I've already put in my "preorder."

It will be a bitch to become friends with another B&W paper.

I just took a look at their blog. As of 1 June ADOX had the systems installed and are in the processof checking them out, making sure everything is going to turn on when they flip the switch.

http://www.polywarmton.com/page5/page5.html

based on what I know of Germans, they will be on holiday here shortly for the next few weeks, so nothing will probably happen until september. I wonder if they will have a production run before the new year?

./e