Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: packing a field camera in a check in suitcase? safe?

packing a field camera in a check in suitcase? safe?

hey all

when i travel with my toyo field camera i usually carry it on the airplane with me in a backpack but i was considering packing it in my suitcase that i would check with all other baggage. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if it was safe? my toyo has a metal body versus the plastic one. i feel that if padded well enough, it should be ok?

thanks for the suggestions
    erik

Re: packing a field camera in a check in suitcase? safe?

At new years I had the unfortunate situation of having to fly home with my 4x5 Zone VI after having it driven to its location. Reluctantly i had to check it in only my Naneu Pro soft bag, along with lenses. I packed bubble wrap and the dark-hood around everything and hoped for the best. Luckily i was flying Midwest. The gear arrived in Atlanta (direct flight from Milwaukee) without a scratch. I wouldn't try this with Delta. Of course TSA appears to have fogged the film somewhat. I really think it depends on the carrier, how many handlers, etc. But wouldn't recommend it in most cases, and don't check your film. Carry-On screenings don't seem to fog the film.

sure. you can check it. i have checked all kinds of camera equipment over the years. i can my favorite ones with me but so far i have never had a problem with carrying them on or checking them in.

just a couple of months back i checked an 8x10 camera and a wet plate back on a flight to holland. no problem. before that i have two wood field cameras checked in on an international flight.

best wayto do it is find a nice box that fits your camera snuggly. add bubble wrap to the camera. then put it in the box. then another wrap of bubble wrap around the box and you are pretty set. put it in a bag. (i have used all sorts of bags as well. the giant "gym" bags with rollers swallow gear. hard suitcases present size and thickness issues. cause they are hard and do not "form" around the item)

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I was wondering about the same, have they changed the carry baggage size/weight again allowance, does the same regulation the same for domestic and international flights????

Any one flew with LF gears since the latest episode in Detroit?

Octogenarian

Camera should be safe, well padded in your check-in baggage.

However, bags often get rough treatment from baggage handlers. They don't expect something as delicate as a camera to be inside of a bag when they throw it onto the luggage conveyor.

Nowadays all checked-in baggage is X-Rayed, When they see a large metallic object inside, you can bet that it will be closely inspected. The camera might be broken, or worse, stolen.

I would hand carry anything of value.

I have checked my Pelican case full of precious gear many times. Make sure you have appropriate insurance. I have decided to ship most of my gear by UPS for my next trip - shipping to my first hotel and then dropping it off at the UPS store prior to going to the airport.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have always hand carried my camera, lens, and film aboard minimizing the chance for damage. Luggage gets lost and if it does it will take months to be reimbursed.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I wrapped my Busch Pressman with the dark cloth and put it snugly in a small cardboard box. I marked the box boldly "4X5 camera." Figured if TSA opened my luggage it would help them to know what they were looking at. This box in turn was cushioned by other clothes surrounding it in the bag.

The lenses, I wrapped in foam in a smaller box and carried them in my carry-on bag.

A few years ago, flying out of Milwaukee, my Wisner was damaged. The inspectors opened it without releasing the clips. They forced it open and tore the screws out of the wood. That being said, it's the only damage or theft I have ever had in all the years and miles of flying with camera equipment and firearms. The old adage of "if it's insured nothing will happen to it" is true I guess. Make everything easy to get to and to open.

Tenba and Liteware make large cases for monorail cameras (Sinars) and I've checked them through, they have 2" thick hard foam though. With their cases you can even ship LCD monitors, they probably provide the most protection.

But since the case weighs ~20 lbs be prepared for exceeding the 50lb limit.