Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your method for matching lens to landscape composition

Re: Your method for matching lens to landscape composition

I have no issues with folks using an iPhone app to preview before they shoot. In fact, I might buy an outdated DSLR with a decent LCD screen and some cheap lenses for this purpose. I'd consider using an iPhone except; 1. I don't have or need an iPhone and, 2. I'll be shooting ultra-wide sometimes (wider than iPhones can capture). What's stopping me from getting a DSLR and lenses is cost. I did purchase a used director's viewfinder with a wide-angle adapter and this combo will get close enough to the same viewing angles and aspect ratios I intend to shoot... close enough that I can interpolate from what it shows me.

Preston Birdwell

I have a framing card with a 4x5 cut-out that I use infrequently. Most times I'll simply make a frame with my hands.

Most of my final print/web images are cropped in some way from the original full-frame neg. Crops are usually planned when I make the exposure.

I try to keep things simple. Why? Because I have only two remaining brain cells, one of which is showing smoke, so I have to be careful in how much I tax the good one.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Adjustable viewing cards are good. I tend to over-complicate the obviously simple... as do many of us.

I've gotten pretty good at seeing a scene and just knowing what lens to grab on my 4x5 or 8x10.

Curiously, I still can't do that on my DSLR. I think it's the long aspect ratio that gets me. If I put my D800 in 4:5 mode it helps. Also annoying - if I am carrying my 17-35mm zoom I can't seem to compose anything not either at 17mm or 35mm. I hate shooting landscapes on digital or 35mm...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

In my opinion, if you can't decide which lens to use it's because you are carrying too many lenses near the same focal length.

Years ago when I was young and shot 35mm, I used to carry all 5 of my lenses. I finally learned that less is more. I now don't believe in carrying more than 3 lenses at a time. Usually 1 or 2 is just fine for me. If my framing is not what I like, well that's why God gave me feet and legs.

As far as those cut out cards go I have never used one. I can pretty much visualize what I want in my head. If they help you though then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'll be shooting ultra-wide sometimes (wider than iPhones can capture).
    You can use a wide angle adapter for the iPhone to go as wide as 47mm.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    You can use a wide angle adapter for the iPhone to go as wide as 47mm.
    Really? Wow... maybe I need an iPhone after all!!

What's it called when a film photographer uses electronic capture devices to aid with composition? Monkey-ing around... pimping? I guess I might become a pimp-monkey.

I know this is going to sound lame but i just put the 90mm on most of the time , Unless it is obvious that my main subject is too far away ,with too much foreground . I then compose with this lens and will change too a 75 or 135 if required , 90% of the time the 90 stays on . Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    If my framing is not what I like, well that's why God gave me feet and legs.
    Feet and legs are of little benefit when the best vantage point is 50 feet on the wrong side of a cliff edge.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Lelgh, that's very true.

The point that I was making was to only carry two to three lenses at most and use your feet to fill in between. If I was going to shoot the Grand Canyon then you can bet that one of the lenses that I brought would be my longest and my next one or two lenses would also be long.

Of course this would be a moot point with me since my longest three lenses are 14", 300mm and 250mm. It's probably a good thing that I don't shoot off cliffs.