Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adox MCC 110

Adox MCC 110

I haven't seen much written about this paper, so I thought folks might be interested in my experience with it.

I recently tested this against some other papers I had on hand, and this stuff is really good.

For my test I made a straight print of a normal negative on Ilford grade 2, which I use as a standard. I then attempted to match that print with the Adox, and some others which I had on hand; Seagull grade 2, Seagull VC, and Kentmere VC. My enlarger is a Zone VI VC, and all papers were developed in Dektol 1+2. All prints were toned in selenium, 1+9 for 5 minutes.

Tone: The color of the Adox paper reminds me of the old Zone VI Brilliant. It's almost a warm tone print; a little warmer than Ilford and Seagull. Kentmere was much colder than the rest.

Contrast: The Adox responded well to the same settings I use for Seagull VC and Ilford MG.

Midtones: The Adox tended to print midtones lighter than the other papers.

High value contrast: The Adox was a little soft in this area, a little softer than Seagull VC. Ilford and Kentmere had better definition in the high values.

Low value contrast: The Adox was hands down the clear winner in this regard. The deep shadow areas made even the Iford's blacks look cloudy. The Seagull grade 2 was so flat in the shadows I tossed what was left.

Bleach: The Adox seems to be a little more sensitive to bleach than the others, so be careful.

Overall, the Adox has a wonderful sense of depth and atmosphere, and I'm looking forward to printing with it. As far as I know, it's only available in the US from Freestyle. I strongly recommend it and hope that it becomes available on the east coast soon.

Drew Wiley

Re: Adox MCC 110

Thanks. Hope to try it myself soon. One thing I disliked about the previous version of this is that it didn't bleach well in Farmers. I'm especially eager to conduct some
    toning experiments.

Yep, thanks for the test report, I also just ordered two boxes of the paper after tested some pre-production tiral version of this paper and I really like it.

It looks really good developed in Ansco 130 1:1 for about 2 minutes. Toning in selenium 1:15 doesn't have any color change, only the D-max is slightly improved, the paper itself is about neutral black. The base is pure white. Beautiful paper.

Take a look at Wolfgang Moersch's website! http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...rie/adoxmcc/19
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Drew Wiley

I just completed my first printing session with this lucious stuff. An impressive paper, but unusual in the sense of being resistant to color shifts with typical toners. Nice when you want to determine image color mainly by developer choice, and then merely add a minor tweak afterwards by toning. Had a rather soft 8X10 neg taken in mist, so printed right thru a 47 blue tricolor filter and the entire scale came out magnificently. Have done this particular neg before with both Forte Polygrade V and Seagull G3, but this was the easiest printing so far. This paper has earned a spot in my standard darkroom inventory.

Drew Wiley

Postscript - this paper develops really fast. And even if it tones slow, I easily split
    toned it as an experiment, if that's your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Postscript - this paper develops really fast. And even if it tones slow, I easily split
    toned it as an experiment, if that's your bag.
    What developer(s) did you try it with?

I have had a pack of this paper for almost a month now and have been really looking forward to trying it.

Drew Wiley

Renato - I only used a variation of Ansco 130 (glycin) 1:3, which is a relatively slow
    developer with some papers, but certainly not with this one! Next time I'll try one of my favorite amidol tweaks. Usually takes me awhile to get used to a new paper,
    but today all it took was a couple of test strips and I already had a "keeper".

Drew - Thanks.
    If I recall correctly, the old Agfa Multicontrast MCC 111 also developed very fast with the Ansco 130.