Thread: Ebony focusing back

Ebony focusing back

I have an Ebony 4x5 (RSW 45), and still getting up to speed with using it. The ground glass focusing back on the Ebony is attached to the camera using 2 "arms" that apparently provide it with some sprung movement to separate it by approx 1/4-1/2" from the camera body itself.

What is the purpose of this? I am assuming it's so that you can slide in a film holder onto the camera without having to remove the ground glass focusing back every time you take a photo? That's what i thought, but trying to get a Fuji QL holder into this space seems very, very tight, so I stopped in case I damaged the sprung-loaded focusing back.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Re: Ebony focusing back

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Warwick View Post
    I am assuming it's so that you can slide in a film holder onto the camera without having to remove the ground glass focusing back every time you take a photo? That's what i thought, but trying to get a Fuji QL holder into this space seems very, very tight, so I stopped in case I damaged the sprung-loaded focusing back.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.
    Yes, it is suppose to be as snug as possible to keep it light tight. Just work it a few times slowly so you get the feel of it. The Focusing Frame (ground glass back) can be removed to attach 120 film magazines and additional focusing frames (I have an Ebony RSW with an additional wide angle focusing frame) via the 2 "arms". To do this, push down on the arms and slide them until they release. I do not have my camera in front of me, but try doing this until you feel comfortable removing them and putting them back on. It may help you get to know the strength of your camera and its construction.

Focusing frame with w/a fresnel, 4x5, ebony wood
    (also available in mahogany)
    courtesy, Ebonycamera(dot)com

Darr

I am assuming it's so that you can slide in a film holder onto the camera without having to remove the ground glass focusing back every time you take a photo?
    Yes.

I measured a Fuji Quickload, it's 12,3 mm width while a Fidelity holder is 11,2mm.

I use Fuji Quickload with an Ebony SV45Ti on a regular basis , the space is tight but I didn't noticed weakness in the spring. Though the wood is different, I presume that the metal parts are the same.

Great, many thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Apologies for the double-post. I thought my computer had frozen and I reversed out of the message thinking it hadn't sent it OK. Should have checked better.

Great, many thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Apologies for the double-post. I thought my computer had frozen and I reversed out of the message thinking it hadn't sent it OK. Should have checked better.
    Jon,
    From my end, posting to this forum sometimes hangs in waiting mode when in actuality it gets posted. When mine hangs, I sometimes open up another window with the link to the post to see if it was made which is always has. Then I close the previous window. Just a small glitch for such a priceless site!
    Darr

You've probably worked this out already, but I've found that the sliding latches on the camera back (part 17 in the rw45 user guide), can sometimes tighten down on the focusing frame, causing the back to stay clamped down.