Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Camera

Lachlan 717

Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Camera

After about 50 emails, 3 months of design discussion and a delay due to having to send my Sinar shutter to Mr Zhang in Shanghi, my new Shen Hao has arrived.

The design Brief was as Follows:

• Allow the use of a Sinar Auto Aperture Shutter so that I can shoot barrel lenses without needing a rail camera

• Allow lenses from 70mm to 360mm

• Something about red bellows...

Anyway, Mr Zhang has once again excelled with a new design.

The new camera accepts the shutter perfectly.

Not only does it go to 360mm, it then travels another 40mm. (I wasn't expecting that; very nice surprise!)

It will focus a 72mm SAXL with the standard bellows (although it will need a bag for anything more than basic movements, but, being Sinar compatible, this will be easy and somewhat cheap).

I can't wait to get out into the field to shoot some portraits without the bulk of my Horseman. Not only have I cut a massive amount of weight and bulk (I will be able to use a "standard" tripod and head ), this thing will set up in no time!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Re: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Ca

3 more shots:
    Lachlan.

Re: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Ca

Hi Lachlan, very nice. Is thisgoing to be available, sans shutter, as a retail item or is it just a custom build? I have been looking at the TFC but wanted more reach.

Gari

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by gari beet View Post
    Hi Lachlan, very nice. Is thisgoing to be available, sans shutter, as a retail item or is it just a custom build? I have been looking at the TFC but wanted more reach.

Gari
    Thanks, Gari.

I've asked Mr Zhang the same question. I'll let you know when he responds!

It's a bloody lovely thing!!
    Lachlan.

Oooh.

Does it take Sinar lens boards? There seems to be an adaptor board that may be Sinar on the big opening and Technika on the smaller one.

If it take Sinar lens boards as well as the bellows, then I see many possibilities:

1. It's the perfect field camera for a Sinar user. (That would be me.)

2. It's a way to put red bellows on my Sinar so I can join that red bellows thingy.

3. I already have lenses exploring this cameras full range mounted on Sinar boards.

Rick "who'll start saving his pennies" Denney

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Oooh.

Does it take Sinar lens boards? There seems to be an adaptor board that may be Sinar on the big opening and Technika on the smaller one.

If it take Sinar lens boards as well as the bellows, then I see many possibilities:

1. It's the perfect field camera for a Sinar user. (That would be me.)

2. It's a way to put red bellows on my Sinar so I can join that red bellows thingy.

3. I already have lenses exploring this cameras full range mounted on Sinar boards.

Rick "who'll start saving his pennies" Denney
    Hey, Rick.

Spot on with the lens boards. I mount brass on them due to their size (especially with the iris!!). So, that was a given in the brief. The Sinar to Linhof adaptor is a really nice piece of wood!

I couldn't find anything that would easily allow a Sinar shutter to be used in the field. Carrying a large box on a trolley through a city only to spend time setting up a rail was not only physically taxing, it took the spontaneity out of any urban portraits.

I have no doubt this will be streaks ahead.

It should also be good for architecture, and studio/table-top work with 400mm.

Now, if I can just find a set of scales so I can get its weight...
    Lachlan.

That's a fine looking camera. Ticks lots of boxes.

5x7" version anyone?

Brilliant !

Great idea but how is the front end when you put that Luc shutter and a heavy brassie on it?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Brilliant !
    Thanks, Ken.

Hard to believe that it hasn't been done before!!
    Lachlan.