Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: viewfinders

viewfinders

Hi there ran a search on this topic but couldnt quite find waht i was after. I shoot field camera 10x8 and 617 with a reduction back. I am thinking of getting a viewfinder - borrowed a friends Fuji 617 and found it very useful while generally working out where to drag the camera to before setting up.

Research has led me to the Linhof zoom version - they don't seem to make them anymore but there is one on Ebay UK now.

i am not expecting one that will cover all aspect ratios - i guess a 4x5 will work and i will double the focal length.

was there more than one model? - is there a desirable one to go for? - if so which one is it and what vintage would it be?

any other advice / alternatives?

Re: viewfinders

There were quite a few models. Here's a link to KEH in Atlanta. They usually have more than the two shown on this page. I have the one currently shown for $89 USD.
    KEH LF page with viewfinders

It looks like you're in the UK so I'm not suggesting you buy these, but at least you can see what's available and US pricing.

I used black gaffer tape to mask off the aspect ratio for 8x20. The zoom lets me see the effect of my 3 lenses. It really helps that I can see the field of view before I drag out all the gear.

Good luck.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 747sp View Post
    Research has led me to the Linhof zoom version - they don't seem to make them anymore but there is one on Ebay UK now.
    This is the first model from the fifties. The newer models are smaller and better.

Peter

ever think about using a piece of cardboard? move it back and forth from your eye and estimate the distance to get an idea of which lens to use. Helps with composition as well. For 4x5, I use a 4"x5" cutout ... when it's 200 mm from my eye to capture what I want, use the 200mm lens, etc. walk to a new place for a perspective change and recompose, get the new eye-cardboard distance for proper lens choice

very cheap and efficient.

At one time, Fred Picker made a 35mm version with a wratten 90 so you can also visualize B&W. Howard Bond taught me to just use the cardboard cut to the format size as the best alternative....

or you can buy a fancy Linhof thingy

"they don't seem to make them anymore"
    Yes they do. But not 5x7 or 2x3 version.

"was there more than one model?"

Several

"is there a desirable one to go for?"

The current one. That is the version that has been made over the past 30+ years. You can see it on the Linhof web site here:

http://www.linhof.de/master_technika_classic_e.html

Yes, a cardboard cutout will work. I do find that an optical viewfinder helps me a little more with the composition.

John

Eric Woodbury
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Using several different formats and aspect ratios led me to look for a more versatile alternative to the Linhof viewfinder. I found that with minor modifications, the sports finder from my Mamiya RB-67's was very useful. I calculated the equivalent settings for all my LF lenses from 65mm to 600mm, and formats including 6x9, 4x5, 5x7, 4x10 and 8x10. I like the fact that I can still see the area of the scene surrounding the chosen framing, which I find helps with exploring the options.

The sports finders show up now and then on the Bay, and no doubt other places too. They're not very expensive.

I posted this a year or two ago - it works perfectly - and is very cheap.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=41735

You can look at the Virtualvillage.com website; I believe they sell the knockoff version of the Linhof viewfinder.