Thread: Hello from Poland

LF beginner

Hello from Poland

After switching from 35mm to MF I could not find words to express my admiration. Now I just miss that feeling, so I decided to buy Horseman L45 camera. It is big, beautiful and totally incomprehensible to me, but I hope I will finally manage to take pictures (architecture mostly) with it. What I do not have is knowledge about LF (books are heading me, hopefully), lens (I bought a camera without one) and funds to buy one I will try to borrow one before I can afford my own, just to learn how does this bulky machine work.

I am an amateur photographer doing something else for living and I do not want to change that - photography is just a hobby, the way and excuse to visit interesting places, the way to free my mind after a long, busy week.

I just want to say hello to everybody here and thank for all the knowledge you share

Re: Hello from Poland

Welcome to group therepy! Since funds are short, watch for lenses on eBay and at the various used dealers such as KEH, Adorama, B&H, etc., as well as camera stores and pawn shops in your area...LF lenses are where you find them, and that could be almost anywhere. You might want to look into a "normal" lens in the 135mm to 160mm first since they usually sell a bit more reasonably than longer and shorter lenses. By waiting and watching, I picked up a really nice Ilex Acuton 215mm f:4.8 (convertible to 356mm f:10) on eBay for about $50 delivered!! Of course, you don't find deals like that every day, but they are out there. By the way, the Ilex Acuton lenses are typically underpriced, but not that much!

Have fun, shoot lots!

LF beginner

Vick Vickery, thanks you

I must admit that US-eBay is not an easy place to shop in for those from Europe - all prices are a subject to change due to VAT and duty, not to mention long delivery time.

I think I will begin with a 150mm lens, since I do not have wide-angle bellows, but I am interested in architectural pictures.

Be sure to Google the website of your countryman, Roman Loranc. I believe that he uses only a 210mm lens for almost all of his beautiful landscapes. http://www.romanloranc.com/
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

LF beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Be sure to Google the website of your countryman, Roman Loranc. I believe that he uses only a 210mm lens for almost all of his beautiful landscapes. http://www.romanloranc.com/
    Thank you vere, very much. I'm impressed, beautiful pictures...

Welcome, Axer.

Welcome Axer, you've come to the right place. Be sure to read the articles on this sites home page for good LF information.