Thread: A and I Santa Monica Closing

A and I Santa Monica Closing

Fellow Angelenos, I just learned that my developing (and occasional printing) resource on the westside is closing its office and consolidating everything in Hollywood. Can anyone recommend another shop on the westside of Los Angeles? A good mail order system?

I am worried to to see rapid contraction of this great photo house over the last couple of years.

Thanks in advance,

-Geoff

Re: A and I Santa Monica Closing

Mail order -- or a long drive -- you might consider Photolab in The People's Republic of Berkeley.

www.photolaboratory.com

I haven't used them yet, but I am looking for a source to enlarge my 8x10 negs since such a service can no longer be found in Dallas. I just haven't gotten up the nerve to put a negative in the mail yet...

I can attest to the excellent quality work produced by Photolab in Berkeley, just across town from my location. Small lab, personal service, experienced personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    I can attest to the excellent quality work produced by Photolab in Berkeley, just across town from my location. Small lab, personal service, experienced personnel.
    Thanks, Merg, I certainly got that impression from their Web site. Good to hear.

Somewhat closer to Santa Monica is Samy's in Santa Barbara. Still a pretty long drive, but they do mail order, and I've been pretty happy with their service.

A&I's Hollywood facility is going to remain open. If you've been happy with them up until this point, I don't see the need to be shopping elsewhere. The drive into Hollywood is not that bad. Otherwise, if you plan on shipping, you might as well ship to them instead of another company that you're unfamiliar with or is a longer distance.

As far as Samy's is concerned, A&I does the processing for Samy's, at least in the L.A. area. There's a Samy's location in Culver City and another in Hollywood.

I, for one, have been using A&I for about 18 years. Yes, it's a bit of a bummer that they're closing the Santa Monica location, but I'm not about to go elsewhere.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Preston Birdwell

I have been using A&I via mail/FedEx for several years and am very happy with their processing (E6 and C41).

I just looked at the Photolab's site. It appears that they do not do E6, but only C41 in roll film, 4x5, and 5x7. I didn't ckeck their B&W services. They also charge extra if you send Quickloads or holders.

Looks like I'll stay with A&I in Hollyweird.

--Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

A friend on the west side told me of a&i's fate a couple weeks back. He shoots lots 4x5 color and has used them for years. He's dreading the traffic and there's no alternative on his side of town. He asked me if I'd like to process his film from now on but I'm not yet comfortable with that responsibility. The saleswoman at the hollywood lab I spoke with about two weeks ago said they're having a very hard time financially. Now that I'm doing my own color processing, I have no need for their services. I was tired of the drive and expense just to get a couple sheets done at a time. Everytime I go in there's someone picking up their head shots and not many other customers. Sad to see them go.

All - Thanks for the advice. I may try mail order with the Hollywood location. I am not crazy about driving in twice to do developing from Mar Visa. I also read that many people are happy with Chrome in San Diego. I may try a couple and see which I like best. A and I is great, and I used to be able to stop in on my way home from work. No more :-(

-Geoff