Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome 25: CanTodays Films Duplicate

ARS KC2UU

Re: Kodachrome 25: CanTodays Films Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    Having shot with both Astia and E100G, (and KR64 not 25) Astia seems to be a good match in the blues and neutrals, but the red and yellow on Astia are pretty flat in my experience. E100G is an equal match on the neutrals and the red and yellow have a stronger signature, but I think the blue may be too strong and magenta too weak.

E100G, no filters
    This is indeed a beautiful photo and I see many color similarities to my old Kodachrome slides. The foreground colors red, brown, yellow, gold, etc. are all reminiscent. About the only color in this slide that doesn't seem to fit is the blue sky. I never got this intense blue with my KR-25. It's a bit too saturated. Given that I live in the congested East I find it remarkable that you were able to shoot this scene without a filter of any kind. I almost always need at least a graduated ND to darken the skies a bit and even out the lighting. You're making me want to quit my day job and travel out West.

My box of Astia came in the mail today... so I guess I'll have to get some E100G and try that too.

Another of my old Kodachrome slides for comparison. This one shot on PKR-120 with my Widelux 1500 many years ago. A local scene. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Drew Wiley

Speaking of saturated skies, back in the 60's my older brother submitted a print to a juried exhibition in Los Angeles under the Nature Photography category. It was printed from old-style 4x5 Agfachrome onto ordinary Type C paper via an interneg. This was obviously long before the days of Photoshop. But they accused him of doctoring the print anyway, and threw him out of the competition. I was a bit astounded, because to my eye, having grown up in the Sierras, the sky didn't look
    all that blue at all. But down in LA in those years, anything but a dirty brown sky must have seemed inconceivable.

I picked up on this post a bit late. I have been struggling to find a replacement to Kodachrome 64 and similar look for my 4x5. I settled on Astia 100F but I am not completely happy with the blacks. I am encouraged by the comments on Kodak's E100G and will have to try it out when my stash of Astia 100F QL's runs out.
    I also have been doing a fair amount of Ilfochrome printing and Kodachrome was a great match for it.

Finally, I have to say (again!) that this forum and the people who participate are really, really great!

Renato, you've found exactly what I mentioned earlier in this thread. The shoulder (shadow) of Astia saturates at about Log D 2.5 which limits the depth of black one can get with Ilfochrome unless one moves too far up from B + F, which can then lose some highlight textures. It's applying the zone system to a positive to positive system. For Ilfochrome to really snap you need the absolute blacks somewhere in the print but at the same time maintain highlight texture. I find sometimes Velvia 50 is a better fit if the original tranny was properly exposed (say 4 EV range or less in the original scene). Astia images can be handled by light highlight masks which then allow pushing into a deeper black during the enlarging process. I have no experience with E100G but may want to fiddle with that also.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Drew Wiley

Renato, E100G gets along with Ciba very nicely. The greens are a little cooler than
    with Fuji film, but not contaminated with red like the old-style Ektachrome 64. You
    have to be a little more careful with long distance shots and UV at high altitude. But
    otherwise, not much different than printing from Astia. Never had a problem with
    either of them getting a rich black, since I match the film to the specific contrast in the scene; but E100G obviously has a little higher contrast. For contrast masks which incorporate the best hue correction for this film, I most often use a #34 magenta or #33 violet; and unless the contrast mask comes out stronger than .60, rarely need a highlight mask.

Nathan and Drew - thanks for the tips. I will most likely standardize on either the Astia 100F or the E100G; I am not a huge fan of exaggerated color saturation for my own color images.

After my stash of K25 ran out in 2006 I tried both Provia F and E100S. I wasn't too thrilled with either. When E 100G came out I standardized. Of all the E-6 films I tested that seemed to be the closest in my eyes.

Sam, Nice shot of the GP-40's on the trestle. What Ex-SP branch was that?

ARS KC2UU

I'll keep this thread alive a bit longer. Thanks to all who provided suggestions for duplicating Kodachrome colors. To those who suggested Astia (i.e., RAP) I can only say that, after shooting about 10-15 sheets of it, my original opinion hasn't changed. I didn't like it at all when I shot it in 120 two years ago for the first time and I still don't.

To me it looks nothing at all like the old Kodchrome colors I tried to describe. In fact, for my typical use it is perhaps one of the poorest films I've ever used. My favorite time of day for photos is sunset (occasionally sunrise) and its performance at these hours is exceptionally bland. Kodachrome colors were brilliant pastel orange and reds at these times and RVP, RDP Fujichromes are equally brilliant with greater saturation and very strong blues. Not so with the RAP.

So unless I find a better use for it I think I'll pass on buying any more when my box is gone. Perhaps it will perform better at mid-day with stronger sunlight and I can use it there.

To those that suggested one of the Ektachromes I intend to buy a new box and try that one next. And any additional suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

I have two frozen rolls of Kodachrome. One is K64 and one is either K64 or K25. I'll never use 'em and will probably end up throwing them away once Duane's stops processing this after this year.

Anyone have anything interesting to trade of equal or grater value (whatever that is?)

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    I have two frozen rolls of Kodachrome. One is K64 and one is either K64 or K25. I'll never use 'em and will probably end up throwing them away once Duane's stops processing this after this year.

Anyone have anything interesting to trade of equal or grater value (whatever that is?)

Joe
    I think I've got a couple 2 year old frozen fish in the freezer. We can trade, even up!