Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome 25: CanTodays Films Duplicate

Re: Kodachrome 25: CanTodays Films Duplicate

Definitely in 4x5 colour film choices you are very limited, though over exposing or under exposing various films might lead you to something you want to use. The short answer is that no film will match Kodachrome 25 in colour. So the path you may want to follow would be to find something else that you like in colour rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    The short answer is that no film will match Kodachrome 25 in colour.
    For sure.

Another quality of Kodachrome is its life span. I have Kodachromes that my father shot in the early '60s. They look like they were shot yesterday while all of his Ektachromes are fading badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Kodachrome sheet was available in sizes up to 16x20. It was discontinued shortly after the introduction of Ektachrome, which was in 1946.
    Can you imagine tray processing Kodachrome in sheet sizes? Get your gas masks out! LOL.

I believe the yellow die used in the Kodachrome process is quite deadly, isn't it? Dip your fingers in and you're dead?

I don't know about the toxicity of the yellow dye, of either the early Kodachromme process or the current K-14. But the process is very complex and thrives on volume. On no evidence, I think one of the reasons sheet Kodachrome went away was that the (enormous) processing machines Kodak built as sales went up after WWII were made to handle spliced-together long rolls of 8mm, 16mm, and 35mm, all with sprocket holes.

Kodachrome was introduced in 1936 and the sheet version gave way to Ektachrome about 1947. The beauty of Ektachrome, was the quick turnaround time for professional photographers. An afternoon shoot could result in a transparency by evening, the film being processed by the photographer. Kodachrome could only be processed by a Kodak lab.

My father, when he was shooting 8x10 transparency for the J. Walter Thompson advertising agency, was almost always working with deadlines. Many of his assignments were received in the late afternoon with the Art Director requesting transparencies the next morning. Meeting these deadlines was only possible with Ektachrome.

Of course, the color rendition of Kodachrome was unrivaled, and it had a long life as a motion picture and 35mm cosumer film. We know now that it was far more stable than Ektachrome, however, stability was not always a concern of the professional photographer.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I believe the yellow die used in the Kodachrome process is quite deadly, isn't it? Dip your fingers in and you're dead?
    Does anybody know what chemical compounds the dyes were?
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Does anybody know what chemical compounds the dyes were?
    Yellow die certainly sounds deadly!

^^^ That's what I was told many years ago but I've been searching and can't find a shred of information about that. I was wrong. Happens all the time these days.

Scott Brewer

If I remember correctly (instead of going downstairs and getting the book When they were picking out the images for Ansel's color book they said that the Kodachromes were beautiful but the Ektachromes had discolored.