Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Gitzo tripod for 8x10?

Recommendation on Gitzo tripod for 8x10?

I'm looking for a recommendation on a new carbon fiber or basalt Gitzo tripod. I have an older 4 series Gitzo aluminum that I will be replacing for use with a new Canham 8x10. I want stability with a 24 inch lens in the field (minimal wind) and a lighter weight tripod than I've been using. I don't need anything over about 70 inches in height and do not need a center column. The info on the Gitzo website really doesn't offer much help in selection so I'm looking for a recommendation from the users here.

Thanks in advance and have a happy new year!

Re: Recommendation on Gitzo tripod for 8x10?

Don,

And a Happy New Year to you too! I've been meaning to call, but have been busier than a cat in a dog pound this week at work for some reason.

I have a couple of recommendations. In the current line, the GT3541 series would likely work for your Canham 8x10 at extensions shorter than about 19" or so although you could use it longer in ideal conditions - no wind, set on a hard surface, light lenses. A 4-section GT3541XLS replaced my older and 1-pound heavier 1348 as my 4x5 and light 8x10 tripod. I've used the GT3541 with the Wehman and a Fuji 600 on asphalt in calm wind with good results. I'm using a discontinued Gitzo 1370M low-profile magnesium head. It's the same head as the current 1570M, just smaller.

The more ideal 8x10 tripod is the Gitzo 1548 (which I currently have) and a low-profile 1570M head, or the modern equivalent, the GT5541LS. But it's heavier than the GT3541 of course.

Overall. I've found the Gitzo CF tripods stiffer than a Ries, and the new leg locks are a dream come true. I'll eventually trade the 1548 in on a GT5541LS.

You're welcome to give them a spin.

Cheers, Steve

Oh yes, the 1548 is a rather short tripod, and I have a center column in it unlike my GT3541XLS (which can extend to 7+ feet). I was surprised that it was rock solid even with the column extended and a 14 pound 8x10 on it.

Cheers, Steve

I played/compared my 3530lsv to the newly arrived ries j100.
    my experience is that the ries is at least as good as the gitzo should the stiffness is concerned. And yes, its heavier and bulkier, yet better looking(almost make me order the maple Chamonix to match her....)

also, its one stage vs gitzo's 2-stage(3-section);maple vs CF, and better wind-damping(I think), material-wise, and thats the reason I got the j110 as I LOVE working @ the coast line...

Also, "The J100 can be 6" taller by ordering the J100-6 or 8" taller by ordering the J100-8."

Don, remember we are bidding the same canham?:-0 I love my canham 57wood.

Happy New year to all!

Andrew

So, consider checking out the tripods at reallybigcameras.com.

Steve I figured you were busy this week but let's try lunch next week. I remember you mentioned the two tripods in your email. A good friend just bought a 3xxx for his 5x7 ebony too.

Neil without looking I can guess what monsters they're selling. Actually I will be posting a Majestic double leg tripod with 50 pound capacity geared lift and geared head with two platforms this weekend. I'm trying to reduce weight not injure myself.

I looked at the Ries and used wooden tripods for years for motion picture work and picked up a Ries A model and head in an antique store a couple of years ago but really don't care for wood tripods. I guess I've had my hand pinched a few too many times plus they're heave compared to CF.

In the Gitzo line the choice is going borderline too light with a 3-series and a bit overkill with the 5-series. Unfortunately they don't make a 4-series CF tripod. If you aren't a gram-shaving backpacker and can afford the 5-series, I vote for overkill ;-)

The Gitzo low-profile 3-way head is nice for wooden flatbeds too, #1570 I think.

After the Majestic you may think the CF tripods will float away....

Geos

I have both the three and five-series CF Gitzos and a Canham 8x10.

If you will be hiking (or traveling), even a little, with the 8x10, than a three-series CF with a RRS BH-55 head will work. The five series, although light for its size is too large to carry a great distance. Also, when a five series is matched with a large head, like Arca's B2, it starts to defeat the purpose of using carbon, if one is going to carry it.

I owned the 1570M head with my 1548 and did not think highly of it. I subsequently sold the Gitzo head and went with the B2.

I am selling my Gitzo 1505 right now in the For Sale forum. Not Carbon, but a great tripod for 8x10 at a reasonable price

Thanks... Jesse

Add the weight of the camera, film holder, your heaviest lens, dark cloth together(camera weight), multiply by 10% to 15% (safety factor)add this weight to camera total. This is the weight the pan head has to handle.

Now add the camera weight to the pan head add 10%.This is the tripod low weight limit.
    Now add the camera weight to the pan head add 30% This is the tripod upper weight limit.

Look for a tripod that falls in to the weight range.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net