Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Ebony Cameras

Lightweight Ebony Cameras

Folks,

Since we're into field camera specs and options.... A couple of months ago I sent an e-mail to the Ebony Company about making me a camera that was lighter than the 13.7 pound SV810U I own. I was thinking maybe walnut or a lighter species of cherry.

Here's the response from Hiromi Sakanashi:

Dear Mr. Hamley,

Thank you very much for your inquiry about a lightweight 8x10 camera.

With regard to lightweight cameras, we are planning to make a limited number of our cameras from Japanese Cryptomeria, which is an exceptional wood and requires specific treatments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jōmon_Sugi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomeria

Please find attached the picture of sample Yaku Sugi without any treatments.

The average densities of each wood are as follows.

Ebony: 1.09
    Cherry: 0.67
    Walnut: 0.53
    Mahogany: 0.65
    Yaku Sugi: 0.4

If lightweight cameras are required, we would like to recommend a camera made in Yaku Sugi.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

Yours sincerely,

Hiromi Sakanashi

According to "back-of-the-envelope" calculations based on the different densities, a triple draw 8x10 should weigh in at about 8-1/2 pounds. I multiplied the mahogany camera weight by the ratios of the woods (0.4/0.65 x 13.7 = 8.4) which should slightly underestimate the weight as it was applied to the metal parts too, which of course won't change.

jpeg of the untreated wood attached. I assume this is wood like spruce or redwood.

Enjoy, Steve

Michael Alpert

Re: Lightweight Ebony Cameras

Steve,

Thank you for letting us know about this option. I use an Ebony SV57 (made from mahogany) that, after five years of use, still fits my definition of a great camera.

Hi Steve, what type of work are you hoping to do with this new camera?
    I have two 8x10 Ebony's, a slw810 and a custom made sw810 (will focus from a 72xl to a 450mm on regular boards). The custom sw is no light weight but for what it will do, not bad. The slw is a purpose built wide angle camera with limited movements. I think the longest lens is about 300mm and the back is fixed and there is no front swing. It only weighs about 7lb and is very study. For my work, the slw is my go to camera. Both of these our non folders yet still very compact.

I would be concerned about the hardness of this cryptomera. It may be as hard as
    the mahogany but you should verify. The wood looks beautiful and I'll bet it will make a stunning camera.

Keep us posted.

www.timeandlight.com

Zebra

Hiromi is unbelievable. If it can be done he will without a doubt do it exceptionally.

Good luck Steve. If you do go ahead with it let us see it when it gets done!

Monty

Folks,

I don't have any current plans to buy one unless an opportunity arises or I see one and can't resist. My current "configuration" is a two-camera solution, an Ebony SV810U in mahogany, which I prefer if I'm not schlepping it up a mountain with a Gitzo 1548, and a Wehman with light AWB holders and a Gitzo 3541XLS (my 4x5 tripod) if I am.

But I thought people would like to know about it since the camera weight will rival other lightweight cameras, and as Monty points out, the cameras are pretty amazing.

I've also found that rigidity seems to go up as weight goes down, so I'd expect a yakasugi camera to be exceptionally stable.

Maybe a retirement gift to myself...

Cheers, Steve

John,

Same thing I'd do with my SV810U, pretty much anything that comes to hand. I had the same thought about hardness, but it remains to be seen what those "special treatments" are. I've suspected that the surface might be impregnated or coated with a hard resin or something, although that's a WAG.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    According to "back-of-the-envelope" calculations based on the different densities, a triple draw 8x10 should weigh in at about 8-1/2 pounds.
    That's 2 pounds more than a Ritter 8x10. If weight is your driver, you really should look at the Richard Ritter's cameras.

Bruce Watson

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    That's 2 pounds more than a Ritter 8x10. If weight is your driver, you really should look at the Richard Ritter's cameras.
    And about 930 pounds (i.e. US$1500) more expensive.

That equated to a rather nice piece of glass to front off the new camera; perhaps even 2 nice pieces...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

To each his own! If there was only one camera the world would be a dull place indeed.

Cheers, Steve

Drew Wiley

I think Dick Phillips was on the right track when he made his own plywood with a
    sandwich of fiberglass and cherry, then soaked it in penetrating epoxy. I have one of
    his very first 8x10 cameras. The epoxy has yellowed and I have refitted some of the hardware, but otherwise it has held up wonderfully. I love my Ebony 4x5 too, but
    might flinch at the price of the equivalent 8x10. Since 4x5 is my choice for longer
    backpacking trips, I opted for mahogany rather than ebony wood. I'd be pretty cautious if it was made of anything even softer.